Campus View Suites II groundbreaking, more to come in 2020

President Richard “Biff” Williams announced the groundbreaking of Campus View Suites II on Jan. 31. The groundbreaking is just the start to a chain of new additions to the university. Photo by Nickelle Blanton.

President Richard “Biff” Williams announced on Jan. 31 the groundbreaking of Campus View Suites II, a possibility of Campus View Suites III, and highlighted a few additional changes coming to campus.

https://dixiesunnews.com/news/articles/2019/09/26/campus-view-suites-phase-ii-expected-2021/

The new Campus View Suites will be located where Shiloh Hall is now, which has been on campus for more than 60 years. It used to be a mens dormitory back in the ’60s, said Guest Speaker and Alumnus Lee Bunnell.

The crowd in attendance mainly consisted of city officials such as Mayor Pike and other DSU officials such as Chief of Police Blair Barfuss.

“This [groundbreaking] is such a visual piece of the growth at DSU,” said Bailey Zimmerman, event and promotion coordinator.

The new apartments will be built and designed by Method-Studio who will also be building the Campus View Phase III if all goes well with the partnership.

Method-Studio architect Joe Smith said the apartments will have five stories compared to the four that Campus View Suites has now, and 534 beds available in the 142,000 square foot building.

“Today we are turning dirt, in September we are officially launching our next robust feature plan, in May we will break the third phase of Greater Zion stadium, [and] in the fall of 2021 we will cut the ribbon on the new [Science, Engineering and Technology] building and move into the west building of Greater Zion Stadium.”

DSU President Biff Williams

“[It’s] a home for students that further active learning,” Smith said.

Campus View Phase II will focus more on private rooms, which are a new design for the suites. The whole building was sketched to specifically fit the university’s values, Smith said.

Having released the newest strategic plan, Williams has now added physical changes to the timeline. Along with the new Greater Zion Stadium groundbreaking happening within the next month, Williams hints that new general classrooms, a science building, softball field and more student housing are in the works.

“Today we are turning dirt, in September we are officially launching our next robust feature plan, in May we will break the third phase of Greater Zion stadium, [and] in the fall of 2021 we will cut the ribbon on the new [Science, Engineering and Technology] building and move into the west building of Greater Zion Stadium,” Williams said.

With Campus View Phase II setting off a series of new buildings and plans for the university, students can expect a new-looking campus.

Tours of Campus View Suites II can be set up with the current Campus View Suites at (435) 652-7500.