Get ready for Career, Internship Fair

DSU students are looking for career and internship information. The Career and Internship Fair helps DSU students find jobs. Graphic by Madisyn Dwiggins.

Dixie State University Career Services is holding its annual Career and Internship Fair on Sept. 30 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the Gardner Ballroom Center.

From noon to 2 p.m., students have the option to get a complimentary professional headshot taken at the fair to use for their Handshake or LinkedIn profiles.

This fair is designed to help students meet with future employers, gain experience and knowledge about their field of interest and to see what work skills are needed.

“One of the best ways to explore your career is to interact and engage with professionals in fields and industries that interest you,” senior career counselor Rochelle Blatter said. “It will help validate your career path and/or help you find direction and information to help you make career-related decisions.”

Blatter said part of the Career and Internship Fair students have the opportunity to attend a student internship panel at noon. Students who attend will hear from past students who have completed internships and their experiences from it.

“I was able to apply things I had learned in the classroom while getting hands-on experience that is vital for my resume,” said Emilee Sheehy, a senior communication studies major from Riverton.

Through internships, students are able to decipher if the career path they are on is the right one for them.

“Internships are wonderful opportunities to utilize your experience,” said Chandler Whitlock, academic adviser for College of Humanities and Social Sciences. “Not to mention you can learn more about potential career paths.”

The Career and Internship Fair is also recommended for students who have already completed internships.

“Any experience is good experience,” Whitlock said. “A different internship can help develop your resume and offer networking opportunities that you can rely on for references.”

The fair includes common jobs but also job opportunities students may not have heard of.

“Students may be surprised to find some less obvious job opportunities that they otherwise would not be aware of,” said Michele Tisdale, academic adviser for College of Humanities and Social Sciences.

This event includes a variety of employers willing to give DSU students internship and career opportunities; this will allow students to make a plan for their future.

To attend the Career and Internship Fair register through Handshake or visit the Career and Internship Fair in the Gardner Ballroom Center.