On-campus housing versus off-campus options vary in cost

Campus View Suites II, Legacy Ridge Apartments and Red Rock Ridge Student Housing offer different experiences for student living. The cost can increase or decrease for each option depending on its amenities. Photo illustration by Emma Brown.

Movies and TV shows address the fun of roommates and college dorms but not so much the expenses that come with it.

One of the numerous factors in deciding which housing to move into is whether or not it is affordable for the individual. Generally there are three options for housing: On-campus student housing, off-campus student housing, and renting apartments or homes.

Shared or private bedrooms are available in on-campus and off-campus housing, and renting an apartment or home leaves that option up to you.

Shared Room On-Campus Housing

The average price of shared on campus housing is $1,524 per semester. This average is from Campus View Suites I, Campus View Suites II, Nisson Towers, and Abby Apartments.

In comparison to shared off-campus and shared two bedroom apartments, shared on-campus housing is the least expensive.

Benjamin Filkins, resident life area coordinator of Campus View Suites I, said, “The cost of on-campus housing tends to be significantly lower than off-campus housing, especially after factoring in the reduced distance to travel for classes, food and all utilities/WiFi/maintenance services being included.”

The low price may be attributed to the public washers and dryers rather than personal washers and dryers.

The low price also may be attributed to the public kitchens and meal plan options. CVS I, CVS II and the Nisson Towers do not include kitchens in the dorm. CVS I and II include public use kitchens but Nisson Towers does not. All three require students to purchase a meal card.

However, the Abby Apartments and the Chancellor Apartments are both DSU on-campus housing and include full kitchens in each dorm. The Chancellor Apartments also have in-dorm washers and dryers.

Private Room On-Campus Housing

The average price for private on-campus housing is $2,059 per semester. The same situation of washers, dryers and kitchens also applies to private rooms. CVS I, CVS II, Nisson Towers, Abby Apartments and Chancellor Apartments all have the option to upgrade to a private bedroom.

Off-Campus Student Housing

The range of off-campus housing prices varies for an average of $2,011 per semester. This average is from Dixie Red Sands North and South, Red Rock Ridge, The Stay, Raintree and Dixie South. DSU’s website lists ten other options for off-campus housing.

Most off-campus housing offers shared and private rooms as well as a variety of the number of bathrooms and bedrooms in each apartment.

All off-campus housing includes a kitchen in unit. An in-unit washer and dryer varies depending on the complex.

For example, 7th and University is an off-campus group of units. It costs roughly $1,600-$2,400 per bed per semester. A washer and dryer are included in unit. 7th and University provides options for private and shared rooms.

Taylor Taft, a sophomore dance major from Herriman, said, “I like how you can find a place that fits your needs, because there is a larger variety to choose from.”

Taft has lived at 7th and University and is currently living at Red Rock Ridge Student Housing.

Non-student Apartments

With apartments there are a plethora of options regarding size, number of rooms and laundry options. Apartments and townhomes have an average price of $1,500-$2,000 per month but adding roommates can decrease that cost. Depending on the complex, in-unit or public use laundry varies.

When it comes to cost, renters must keep in mind that most apartments do not come furnished. Furniture will increase the cost quickly as it can be expensive.

Students should keep in mind that apartments can be farther away from campus compared to most off-campus housing at DSU. Red Rock at Sienna Hills Apartments are located about 15 minutes away from campus.

Kendra Brown, a freshman population health major from Herriman, said, “I’m always leaving at least 30 minutes before my class starts.”

Brown lives in a townhouse in Santa Clara with five other roommates. She is surrounded by a neighborhood with kids and families.

All housing options come with a varied list of pros and cons but it can help students to have so many options in order to find their best fit.