Education department moving to new renovated location

With the open of the new SET building the old science building is being remodeled. The college of education will move into the newly renovated building in Fall of 2022. Photo courtesy of Sherry Ruesch

Dixie State University’s College of Education prepares for a change of scenery coming in August 2022.

With the science department moving into the brand new Science, Engineering and Technology building, the construction team started renovations on the old science building. The renovation began in the fall of 2021 and is expected to be completed by August 15, 2022.

Sherry Ruesch, assistant vice president of facilities management, said, “The former science building is a great structure and will provide the department of education a permanent home.”

Once the renovation is complete, the College of Education is going to move into the remodeled building.

“I find it exciting that we are giving an older building a new life,” Ruesch said. “It will be very nice inside and feel new.”

Brenda Sabey, dean of the College of Education, said the faculty offices will be located on the first floor of the building.

“My favorite part of the project is the faculty office area,” said Jon Gibb, director of planning and construction. “This office space promotes collaboration and invites students and others in with areas to communicate and work together.”

The second floor will have an open area for students to sit and study.

Sabey said, “As of now, it [the building] will have a preschool, an instructional kitchen, and an instructional sewing room.”

The college is currently in the Edith S. Whitehead education building which is located at 849-885 E. 100 S. The Edith S. Whitehead building has a playground attached on the north side. The playground is used for the preschool program that students can participate in.

The College of Education is planning on continuing its preschool program in the new location. The preschool will be located in the northwest corner of the building with a playground attached.

“Access will be convenient for parents to come and go,” Gibb said.

The Edith S. Whitehead building is going to be torn down and converted into a parking lot.

The college plans on having classes in the new building starting fall of 2022.