DSU’s old science building will become new education building

The old science building remains under construction on Feb. 17, 2022. Misha Mosiichuk | Sun News Daily

Dixie State University’s new Science, Technology and Engineering building is up and running, and the old science building is left without a purpose. 

The old science building is currently being renovated to house the department of education. The building will include the department of education, department of family studies and human education, and the department of interdisciplinary arts and sciences. A name has not been selected for the building yet. 

Sherry Ruesch, assistant vice president of facilities management, said the initial budget for the building was $2.6 million. However, because they are not far into construction, the final cost is unknown. 

Students don’t have to worry about seeing these costs reflected in tuition as it is a state improvement project funded by ongoing money given to all state buildings for maintenance. 

Education students will have access to updated classrooms and more classroom space.

“I would anticipate that the building will especially benefit students from the school of education by providing improved and modern spaces for studying in their particular majors,” said Del Beatty, vice president of student affairs.

Brenda Sabey, dean of the college of education, said the renovations will include a study/lounge area, an instructional kitchen lab, instructional sewing lab, a designated arts classroom and a science classroom for elementary education students. It will also include a more central college of education advising office, more open space in public areas and a modern environment. 

“Having the building located on the main campus and not across the very busy road will also be a major step forward,” Beatty said.

The current projection is the renovations will be complete in July and ready for use in the fall semester. When the building is finished everything from the Edith S. Whitehead Education building will be moved into the new building to be ready for the new semester.