Dixie Awards: Recognition and respect for decades

The recipients of the 2021 Dixie Awards. An event that recognizes the hard work of students, faculty, staff and the community. Photo Courtesy of UMAC.

And the award goes to…

In similar fashion to the upcoming Academy Awards, Dixie State University is hosting the Dixie Awards April 29 in the Dolores Dore Eccles Fine Arts Center in the Mainstage Theater at 7 p.m.

For decades DSU students, faculty, staff, community members and businesses have been nominated and received a Dixie Award in the 13 categories.

• Student of the year
  • Teacher of the year
  • Teacher of the year – rising star
  • Part-time faculty of the year
  • Distinguished staff member
  • Distinguished staff member – rising star
  • Club of the year
  • Stafford student involvement award
  • Entertainer of the year
  • “Dixie Spirit” award
  • “Heart of Dixie” award
  • Commitment to inclusion and diversity award
  • Business of the year

Anyone on campus or in the community can nominate someone they believe should be recognized for their hard work. To nominate someone visit the website to see if they fit the criteria.

Nominations for the 2022 Dixie Awards are now open until March 11 at 5 p.m. After the nominating period ends, each categories’ judging panel or committee will narrow the group down to the finalists.

Each category has slightly different criteria that must be met but they all have one thing in common. The winner is someone who has made an impact on DSU through service, leadership or their character.

Debbie Millet, executive assistant for student affairs, said: “This is a great way to let others know that their time, effort and dedication are noticed and appreciated. Giving others a positive congratulation on all of their hard work and effort can be very gratifying.”

In 2021 Tyson Kauer, a human resources recruitment coordinator, won the distinguished staff member – rising star award. The rising star award places a special emphasis on the immense impact that an individual has on DSU within their first few years.

Kauer said: “I honestly couldn’t tell you why I won. I know that the award is very competitive and there is a lot of great talent on campus that is very deserving of recognition for their hard work and dedication to the university and its strategic plan. I feel as though, perhaps, I may have been nominated for this award because of the impact that I had in that first year I was on campus.”

Kauer said the first year he was on campus, which was in 2021 and during COVID-19 restrictions, he hired more people than the year before. In 2022 they will hire almost double than they hired in 2021.

Shadman Beshir, director of international student and scholars office, won distinguished staff member in 2021.

“It feels nice to know that people around you are appreciating your work. But also you have to understand that just because someone didn’t win an award doesn’t mean they aren’t doing good,” said Beshir. “Maybe they are doing way more hard work than me but they are not visible.”

The Dixie Awards are a formal event and light refreshments will be served after.