Utah Tech women’s basketball comes up short despite strong fourth quarter

Amber Kartchner, a freshman management major from Logan, plays defensively against Seattle University on Jan 28. Miki Akiyama | Sun News Daily

Share This:

Utah Tech University was neck and neck with Seattle University at the women’s basketball game Jan. 28. The game ended closely with a score of 70-66.

The game started with Seattle getting the ball; however, the Trailblazers quickly took possession. Seattle missed its first layup, and Averi Papa, a sophomore history major from St. George, took charge and scored the first two points in the game.

The game continued back and forth between both teams scoring 3-pointers. Emily Isaacson, a redshirt junior recreation and sports management major from Perry, and Papa scored multiple 3-pointers in the first quarter tying Seattle and Utah Tech at 18 points.

In the second quarter, Trailblazers’ effort and teamwork was strong, but the score fell shortly behind Seattle.

After halftime, the game opened with Seattle at 37-30. At the start of the third quarter, Papa scored two points, which brought the score back up. Toward the end of the quarter, Amber Kartchner, a redshirt freshman management major from Logan, brought up the score by five points leaving the score at 55-50.

The final quarter started and Trailblazers started out strong. They were behind by five points, and intensity and suspense filled the Burns Arena. Shortly after the fourth quarter started, the referee called a foul with two players fighting for the basketball, making the crowd supporting the Trailblazers unhappy.

Once the game picked back up, Trailblazers brought the heat advancing with more shots. Seattle took the ball and brought the score to 57-61. The turning point in the game was the four foul shots the Trailblazers made. All shots were made by Papa and Breaunna Gillen, a senior exercise science major from West Jordan. In the last 45 seconds of the game, Gustin sent three of their players to play defense.

Within the last few seconds of the game, Seattle shot and scored ending the game at 70-66. The Trailblazers will keep their heads up high and play at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Feb. 2.