Utah Tech men’s golf sets school records in San Diego

Parker Reese a freshman business management major, from Las Vegas, prepares for his game at the San Diego Invitational. Photo courtesy of Utah Tech Athletics.

The Utah Tech University men’s golf team competed in southern California March 27-28 at the UC San Diego Invitational, the eighth invitational of the season.

The Trailblazers came away with the sixth best overall score out of 15 competing teams. This is their best outing since they attended the Southern Utah University Invitational back in February, where they also came away with the sixth best overall score. 

The ‘Blazers came out strong on the first day at Torrey Pines Golf Course in La Jolla, California. They were placed first out of 15 teams after round one, going 10 under 278. A new record was also set for the 36-hole in the Division I era after they went 15 under 561.

With two players finishing in the top-15 of the player leaderboard, Utah Tech was just one shot away from tying Utah State University and UC Santa Barbara for the fourth place spot for the tournament. Maddox Vincent, a freshman general studies major from Draper, was ranked fourth out of 88 total players with 16 total birdies.

Zach Felts, a freshman general studies major from St. George, added to this with a career-low 5 under 67, and the two freshmen matched with a score of 137 after two rounds, the lowest 36-hole score since the team moved to DI.

Felts continued to play well, recording 14 total birdies during the competition. He shot 67-70-73, which ultimately helped Utah Tech secure their place comfortably in the top half of the competing teams. 

The ‘Blazers had three of their five competing players ranked in the top half of all 88 players in the tournament.

Utah Tech will go back to California for the UC Santa Barbara Collegiate Invitational April 10-11. This will be the second to last tournament before the season is wrapped up and the 2023 WAC Men’s Golf Championships begin April 28th.