Utah Tech celebrates a decade of university status at State of the University Address

President Richard “Biff” Williams spoke the morning of Sept. 20 at the State of the University Address in the Cox Performing Arts Center. | UMAC File photo

From degrees to renovations, Utah Tech University has been through many changes over the last decade.

President Richard “Biff” Williams spoke during the State of the University Address Sept. 20, highlighting the events and changes that have happened since the marking of Utah Tech becoming a university 10 years ago. Since then, the university has grown with new buildings, renovations, added majors and more.

Utah Tech has expanded the campus by building and renovating 42 spaces and buildings. This includes building the Human Performance Center, Campus View Suites I and II and Heritage Cove.

The university has also been awarded with national accolades. Some notable awards have been the Top Employer award in 2021 and the 26th Safest Small College/University in the U.S. The most recent award has been the High Education Digest’s Ten Prominent Universities and Colleges to Watch in 2023.

In the last ten years, Utah Tech has added:

• 7 master’s degrees
  • 35 bachelor’s degrees
  • 12 associate degrees
  • 59 certificates
  • 49 emphases
  • 41 minors
  • 1 clinical doctorate degree

Not only has the university been given notable awards and has seen improvements in majors and degrees but there have also been improvements in student life and the community.

“As a committed community partner, we have hosted hundreds of thousands of community events…” Williams said.

The university has seen an increase in student involvement and growth because of these events. There has been a 52% increase for organized clubs on campus and a 198% increase in students attending events.

Student events are not the only priority in events around campus. Bringing the community together is important for the legacy of the campus.

There are multiple events that have grown into traditions over the years. Some of these events include Dixie’s Got Talent, D-Week, Fire & Ice Gala and more with over 95,000 attendees in the last 10 years.

“There is literally thousands of people that have worked so hard to make all of this happen,” Williams said.

Utah Tech’s growth has been made possible by the endless amount of community members, businesses and donors. Utah Tech has doubled funds awarded to students from $10.4 million to $19.8 million. Along with that increase, the university has expanded its budget by nearly 50%.

One notable donation has been to the Greater Zion Stadium renovation which had $10 million donated, making this the the largest single marketing agreement in the school’s history.

Another notable donation was for Stann Watts’ “President Abraham Lincoln Signing the Emancipation Proclamation” statue. This was valued at $4 million and is the largest in-kind gift in the school’s history.

In the next ten years, Utah Tech has plans to continue to provide for students, faculty, staff and the community. Some of these plans include continuing enrollment growth, enhancing the softball stadium, opening CVS III, renovating the Cox Performing Arts Center, and upgrading the student union.

President Williams ended the address by saying, “We have just spent the last ten years proving that when we come together as a community, as a legislature, as donors, as alumni, as faculty, staff, and administration, we can accomplish anything we put our minds to.”