Utah Tech marching band brings school spirit while building safe environment

The Utah Tech marching band performed at the UT VS. SFA football game Oct. 8. The marching band entertains the fans and keeps the enthusiasm high throughout the game. Cora Mark | Sun News Daily

Utah Tech University’s marching band members present their talent and passion for music all while creating memories with one another.  

The band, which consists of around 30 students, currently performs at football games and an occasional soccer game.

Christy De La Cruz, a sophomore theater major from Las Vegas, said the band also plays at basketball games in the spring. The band’s energy is what encouraged her to be a part of it. She plays the trumpet, which she has been playing for five years. 

In addition to playing trumpet in the marching band, De La Cruz was a member of the Utah Tech Rumble Line last spring playing bass drum. 

“I adore everyone I play alongside, and it makes it so much more fun,” De La Cruz said. “I get to represent my dream college and add to the school spirit with some of my favorite humans to exist.” 

Bryant Smith, associate professor of music and director of bands, created a five-year plan to build a marching band. Being ahead of schedule, the marching band started in fall 2022.

“We currently have a part-time instructor, Rowena Webb, directing the band, and doing a great job,” Smith said. “The job still needs to move to full-time, and there are other funding and space needs that will need further discussion.”

Smith’s involvement with the marching band is overseeing responsibilities with purchasing food, filling out forms and attending to students’ needs.

Smith said: “The best part is working with the students. They are the life of the band, and I love being around them, watching them succeed and supporting them when [they] struggle. It’s all part of the job, and I’m grateful to be a part of it.”

Darren Wages, a sophomore digital film major from Provo, said he joined because he enjoys playing music, and feels safe and welcomed being in the band. 

Wages currently plays the baritone in the marching band, but in the past, he has played trombone, baritone and tuba for several bands since elementary school.

Band doesn’t apply to Wages’s major, but marching band is fun for him. His favorite part of being in the band is the fun moments he has with his fellow band members and friends, which continue on and off the field. 

Lilly Olsen, a sophomore population health major from Jackson, New Jersey, plays the tenor saxophone and has been playing for six years. Olsen’s mom encouraged her to join Utah Tech’s marching band. 

“My mom convinced me that I should join the marching band here since it would be fun, and I would be a part of the first year of the marching band here,” Olsen said. “I also decided to join the marching band because music helps me feel less stressed and helps me balance my life.” 

Olsen’s favorite thing about being in the band is the friendships made. By spending time together as a band with rehearsals and game days, the bandmates have become close and have gotten to know each other. 

“It is also amazing to be able to perform with all of them, which makes me happy to have chosen to do marching band here,” Olsen said.

Brooklyn Peterson, a junior music education major from Payson, said marching band is what gave her the passion she has for music. 

Peterson is the head drum major for the band, meaning she gets to conduct the group. She has been a drum major for about five years. 

She said: “Since I conduct the group, I get to see them grow throughout the season and watch all of their efforts pay off, which is so incredible to see. The feeling of creating music with a group of people like we have is unmatched. Game days are always a favorite too because a day with the band supporting our teams will always be my favorite way to spend my time.”