DSC Orchestra Performs in Pine Valley

The Dixie State College Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of Dr. Paul Abegg, will open its 2011-12 season with its Third-Annual Pops in Pine Valley Concert, performed at the Historic Pine Valley LDS Chapel on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 1 p.m. This special outdoor concert is free and open to the public to attend.

The orchestra’s program will feature a number of American and classical favorites, including Copland’s Hoe Down; Gould’s American Salute; Semper Fidelis and Stars and Stripes by Sousa; Radetzky March, Thunder and Lightning Polka, and Pizzicato Polka by Strauss; and Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture.

“This has become a tradition and we are excited to share our music with the community of Pine Valley,” Dr. Abegg said. “This is a concert that all will enjoy regardless of age. It is a good concert for the entire family.”

In all, the DSC Symphony Orchestra is slated to perform six times this academic year, including four concert engagements at the Avenna Center Cox Auditorium, starting with the annual Fall concert on Saturday, Oct. 29. The Orchestra will also ring in the holiday season with a special Christmas concert entitled “Twas the Night Before Christmas,” including the story narration read by DSC First Lady Margaret D. Nadauld, on Saturday, December 10.

The Orchestra will also perform a pair of concerts during the spring semester, beginning with the ensemble’s annual Winter concert on Saturday, Feb. 25, and on Saturday, April 21, featuring guest accompaniment by Andrew Unsworth, the organist with the famed Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The Orchestra will also perform during Dixie State’s Centennial Commencement Ceremonies slated for Friday, May 4, 2012.

All four orchestra concerts will begin at 7:30 p.m. General admission tickets for each concert will be available at the door for $5 for adults and $1 for DSC students and faculty and staff with current ID.

For the fourth-straight season, Dixie State is offering a DSC Fine Arts Season Pass (excluding dance performances) for just $99, giving patrons access to all DSC theatre productions, instrumental and vocal concerts, for the 2011-12 season. In addition, a season Theatre-Only pass is available for $42, while patrons may also purchase a season Music-Only pass for $85.

For tickets and further information, please call 435-652-7800 or visit the central campus ticket office at the DSC Avenna Center. Patrons may also purchase tickets prior to each evening’s performance at the Eccles Fine Arts Center Box Office or online at tickets.dixie.edu.