Students plan doomsday survival strategies

Imagine a regular routine life gone in a matter of seconds.

Dixie State College students brainstormed strategies as if the end of the world was coming tomorrow.

Lila Nelson, a sophomore biology major from Santa Clara, Calif,. said she doesn’t think an apocalypse is going to happen anytime soon, but if it did, she knows exactly what she’s going to do.

“If I found myself in the middle of an apocalypse, I would probably freak out and say a prayer,” she said.

With or without a prayer, Nelson really does have a plan if the end of the world were to come.

Nelson’s dad is an Eagle Scout and has taught her how to prepare for emergencies by using a 72-hour emergency kit called a “bug-out bag.” She would grab her bug-out bag that contains a fold-up tent, purifying water tablets, fire starter, emergency food, and two 16-ounce bottles of water, and make her way to her grandparents’ home in Toquerville.

“I think it’s important to have the necessary goods handy in case of emergencies, and that’s why I have my bag loaded and ready to go,” she said. “My dad taught me very well.”

In a time of chaos and destruction, some people plan to turn toward those they trust most.

Kylie and Griff Robles are a young married couple who have a 2-year-old boy and one more child on the way.

Kylie Robles, a senior communication major from Spanish Fork, is confident that her plan will work. Her first thought is to stay away from heavily-populated areas.

“I would stay away from downtown St. George, Costco and Wal-Mart because that’s where everyone else is going to go, and that’s just going to be full of chaos and danger,” she said.

Kylie Robles wouldn’t only be looking out for her 2-year-old and husband, but also her unborn baby.

“It’s scary to think about being pregnant because if I were to go out and try to fight the chaos, I would be putting two lives at risk: my unborn baby and myself,” she said.

Some may hurry and conquer while others may wait it out. The Robles believe it’s best to wait for the initial frenzy to pass, live off what they have, and then head out for survival when suitable.

Griff Robles, a junior business major from Spanish Fork, said he would be ready for the apocalypse. His first concern is to keep his family protected and sheltered.

“I would board up the windows of our home and make it as safe as possible,” he said.

He would make sure his guns were ready with plenty of ammo, and he would also find anything he can get his hands on to plant, harvest and eat.

“I would do everything I could to make our home safe and supplied with food, even if that includes leaving the house to provide,” he said. “Any animals that cross my path would be shot, killed and eaten.”

Whether it’s eluding town with a bug-out bag or surviving from home, DSC students have their plans for the apocalypse—if it ever comes.