Letter to the Editor: Infusion providing less-than-desirable food options

Soggy bagels, moldy muffins and spoiled milk. 

What common element do all of these food items share? Well, I for one wouldn’t want to consume any of them, but since the start of last semester, I have been served all three from Infusion — or should I say “Infection”?

Although reasonably priced and conveniently located on the first floor of the new Holland Centennial Commons, I have yet to be impressed with the service. When the first day of school came around, I was excited to grab a bagel and head to class. I thought it would be a quick stop, but after repeating myself three times to the jittery freshman taking my order, he still didn’t get it right.  Instead of a wheat bagel with plain cream cheese, I received a plain bagel with strawberry cream cheese. But I was in a hurry, and it was his first day, so I didn’t complain. 

My second visit to the cursed little café started off a little better. Wheat bagel in hand, I rushed to the elevator and began to eat as I waited for it to make its way slowly down to the first floor and back up again.      

But after one bite, I couldn’t take another. On the outside my bagel had the appearance of crispy, toasted perfection. Instead, my mouth met wet, soggy cardboard. At least the apple juice was drinkable.

After a few weeks of avoiding the place, I decided to give Infusion one more chance. Third time’s a charm, right? 

Wrong. Playing it safe, I decided to steer clear of their bagels and grab a muffin and some milk instead. Now, I admit it would have been wise to inspect the muffin and check the expiration date on the milk, but what kind of restaurant serves spoiled food? Apparently Infusion does. Not only was the muffin dry and moldy, but one sip of the milk told me it was spoiled. 

Now don’t get me wrong. I think the idea of a convenient breakfast stop for students is a fantastic idea. They have a walk-up window, they are open on the weekends, and they do have a good variety of snacks to choose from. I only hope other students have a better experience than I with their food and service.   

Maybe I will give them another chance if someone shows them how to check expiration dates. But, for now I will stick to Stacks. One floor above Infusion, their sandwiches, soups and espressos haven’t disappointed me yet.

Erica Campbell, senior English major from St. George

Submit your letters to the Editor at [email protected]