Poll shows degree additions most anticipated university benefit

There are many things to be excited about with Dixie State College about to become a university.

Dixie Sun News randomly polled 100 students and faculty to find out what they are most excited for when Dixie becomes a university.

They were given five options: new degrees and programs, the university stamp on their degree, the elite status of a university, an increased student population, or the possibility of more campus activities.

University status means new degrees and programs and 35 percent of those polled found this the most exciting part of the change.

“I would really love to see sociology become its own degree,” said Katherine Mallon, sociology lecturer at DSC. “It’s a wonderful subject, and I feel it would add something enriching to this campus.”

New degrees and programs aren’t the only things to be excited about when it comes to DSC becoming a university. In the same poll, 17 people said they were most excited for the university stamp on their degrees.

“Seeing the university stamp on my degree will make my parents so proud,” said Alex Anderson, a sophomore CIT major from Pleasant Grove.

DSC’s university status will make it more elite, and 12 people polled said that excited them most.

“Dixie wouldn’t be just a state college that anyone could get into,” said Jamie Pearson, a sophomore nursing major from Salt Lake City. “People would respect a degree from a university more too.”

Other students are more excited about the fact that, as a university, DSC would be more likely to have an increased student population. Sixteen people polled said this was what they were most excited for.

“More students equals more diversity,” said Dakota Smith, a sophomore elementary education major from Heber. “Maybe with more diversity, St. George will become more open to other cultures and other people.”

Lastly, 20 people polled answered that the thing they were most excited about was the possibility of more campus activities.

“I think with more people coming here, more things like dances will happen,” said Cheyenne Dutson, a sophomore elementary education major from Hurricane. “I really think Dixie will try to push more student involvement by having more activities.”

Note to editors: This story is very similar to the university lifestyle story. One idea is to combine them into one story.

I think the two will be fine separate because your story is a poll focused on numbers. The other article talks about city growth and malls, but your article is quantitative.