Dixie students select favorite athletes

The seasons for several sports are coming to a close, and 100 students were surveyed and chose their favorite and most talented athletes to be in the spotlight.

Joe Don Duncan

This senior All-American tight end, recently back from an injury, is catching the attention of NFL scouts. 

Duncan has accounted for 880 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns with three games remaining.

“Joe Don pulls through for DSU in clutch situations,” said Kolton Brown, a sophomore business major from Pleasant Grove. “Not only is he fast and smart on the field, but he is a very consistent and reliable player.”

Men’s Golf: Kenny You

This sophomore won the Western Washington University Golf Invitational Sept. 23-24 with a four-round total of 206. He shot a career-best 65 at the tournament. This was his fifth time in the top-10.

He was later named the Northwestern Mutual Athlete of the Week Oct. 1.

“It’s always exciting to watch or [hear] about how he does because of all his success,” said Kellie Busse, a sophomore general education major from Las Vegas.

Volleyball: Shelby Sorenson

This sophomore, setter on the DSU volleyball tea, was named the Northwestern Mutual Athlete of the Week on Oct. 1 and was named to the Pacific West Conference Volleyball Weekly Final Five Sept. 23.

“She is always touching the ball and the best players usually do,” said Brett Jerman, a junior business major from American Fork. “I rarely see her make any mistakes.”  

Women’s Soccer: Megan Marchbanks

This sophomore forward has scored four goals was named to the Pacific West Conference Final Five on Oct. 7. She is continuing to be a leader on the team this year and is helping the team to find success.

“Megan has so much talent, and you can really see it out on the field when she plays,” said Abby McIntyre, a sophomore nursing major from Tooele. “She really pulls through for Dixie in tough situations and is a good contribution to the women’s soccer team.”