Ramped-up NSA, TSA surveillance too invasive

Edward Snowden, who blew the whistle on the National Security Agency this year, has caused large discussion on government invasion of privacy and what is necessary for national security.

On top of that, The New York Times published an article By Susan Stellin Oct. 21 called “Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly.

On top of that, The New York Times published an article By Susan Stellin Oct. 21 called “Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly.”

According to the article, “Transportation Security Administration is expanding its screening of passengers before they arrive at the airport by searching a wide array of government and private databases that can include records like car registrations and employment information.”

The process of background checking isn’t just for those who are on watch lists. According to the article, it includes you as an American citizen traveling domestically.

How much government surveillance and screenings are necessary? I understand the need for national security, and there are people who do intend to cause terror and disrupt the peace, but how much scrutiny is acceptable?

What is contained in private and public records — like car registration and employment — could help us stay safe, unless they are just profiling. Are lawyers with minivans more likely to cause mass destruction, or are plumbers from California who drive Toyotas more likely to use a plane for unlawful reasons?

This is an interesting way to go about finding information, and I’m sure the government has a list of reasons.  I also understand the argument if you are not doing anything wrong then it should not matter.

However, on top of searching for everyone on watch the list — keeping track of the 300 million plus people in the United States — the bill for this has got to cost quite a dime. 

The attack on 9/11 was a huge deal. But I also know this nation has other problems. Since then there have been more international incidences on the ground than in the air.

It is time the American citizens think about what’s really a danger to them. Are we using our resources in the best way to keep us safe?

Are we OK with all of this? Are we safer? Are we just operating out of fear? Is the answer more surveillance and laws?

The topic of government surveillance should be a bigger issue with the public than it is.