Fit n’ Pretty: BB Cream life-changing addition to makeup regimen

I’ve been rummaging through my mom’s makeup drawer since I was a toddler.

I’m slightly obsessed with makeup and the understated power it contains. Makeup is a tool that can help transform a mediocre day into a “Wow, I’m feeling super pretty and powerful” day. Most makeup connoisseurs know the first and most important step to a solid makeup regimen is healthy, glowing skin. Luckily, I’ve discovered the mother of all skin care coverage — it’s BB cream — and it may change your life.

BB cream, otherwise called beauty balm cream or blemish balm cream, is an all-in-one skin care product. BB cream provides light-weight color and blemish-correcting coverage, while nourishing and protecting skin. It can be worn solely for a dewy, natural look or paired with finishing powder for a more matte look.

“BB cream is perfect for a busy woman,” Fredric Brandt, a New York City and Miami-based dermatologist, told beautylisth.com. “It has broad spectrum protection that’s been approved by the FDA, soothes and moisturizes skin, disguises blemishes, and has anti-aging properties. Essentially, it’s a moisturizer, anti-aging cream, sunscreen, primer and foundation all rolled into one.”

I stumbled upon Smashbox’s BB cream after overhearing two women ranting and raving about the cream while I was browsing through Ulta. At the time, I didn’t know anything about BB creams, but I knew I was frustrated with my current skin-coverage product. I was using MAC Studio Fix powder that left my skin feeling dry and looking dull.

So I did some research on BB cream and ended up opening Pandora’s makeup box. BB cream is actually quite popular throughout the world, and there are a lot of people who belong to the religion of BB cream, and it’s because it’s a god-send.

BB creams are popping up everywhere, but it’s important to invest in a product that’s tested and true. Totalbeauty.com has an editors’ pick of the BB creams worth buying. Included on the list are BB creams from Garnier, Too Faced, Dr. Jart, Estee Lauder, Boscia, Stila, Clinique, and, of course, Smashbox.

I bought the $39 tube of Smashbox’s BB Cream and justified the high cost with the fact that the product contains properties that promote skin health along with skin appearance. The cost is also comparable to other non-drugstore makeup brands like MACBobbi BrownBenefit and Clinique.

I fell head-over-heels as soon as I put the BB cream on my face. The coverage was just enough; it wasn’t too heavy or too light. The cream also evened out the discoloration on my face and gave me a nice, authentic, glowing appearance that I’ve never experienced from other products.

After applying the BB cream in the wee-hours of the morning, it continued to work for me for the rest of the day. In other words, it wore well, and it lasted, which is a major plus since I don’t have the time or energy to re-apply makeup throughout the day. Come on, nobody’s got time for that.

After a week of using Smashbox’s BB cream daily, I began to notice a difference in my skin’s appearance. My skin is typically uber dry, and foundations and powders typically worsen said dryness. But after a week of using the BB cream, my skin felt hydrated and elastic — a result I’ve never had with a makeup product. I also took comfort in the fact that the BB cream has 35 SPF since skin cancer runs in my family.

I’ve been hooked on BB cream for three weeks now, and I have zero plans to change. In fact, I want everyone to jump on the BB cream bandwagon with me. I want to convince my sisters, friends, my mom and grandma — hell, even strangers — to give BB cream a shot.

Try out BB cream. Your face will thank you.