Theater’s first production commences with plot twist

William Shakespeare had it right when he wrote “Much Ado About Nothing,” and students can still relate to the story over 400 years later.

The play, directed by Kelly Thomas, is a satire of marriage and displays men being wary of getting married, but at the same time, desperately wanting to be married. Dixie State University students managed to make an old story current to everyday situations.

DSU’s adaptation of “Much Ado About Nothing” is rated PG-13 and will be showing 7:30 p.m. until Saturday at the Black Box Theatre in Dolores Dore Eccles Fine Arts Center. General admission is $10, $5 for high school students and $1 for DSU students.

“The audience can expect a great time at the theater,” said Jacob Beecher, a senior theater major from La Verkin, who plays Leonato, father of one of the main female characters, Hero. 

“I feel the audience laughs, connects to the characters and understands the story and language,” Beecher said

The actors and actresses were cast in April and put a lot of time and dedication into this play. They faced a state of confusion when their initial director left the production when he was offered another job and Kelly Thomas was brought in to be the new director.

“I find that the amount of work these students have done on their own has really added to their performance,” Thomas said. “They gave a level of investment outside the rehearsal process that has resulted in a much more dynamic performance on their part.”

“We were given the summer to memorize [the script] by the time school started up in the fall semester,” said Mindi Kirk, a junior theater major from West Jordan who plays Lady Jane, a female Don John.

Erica Whale, a sophomore theater major from Las Vegas, plays Margaret and Regina Seacole. Whale said after cast members began the play’s major production process in the beginning of August, a summer of hard work lead to the success of the play.

Beecher said Thomas guided the cast members through difficult scenes that felt unnatural to act out, and her skillful direction resulted in the play’s success.

“From understanding Shakespearean language, to the lights, to the music, to the fabulous directing this is a good production,” Whalen said. “Whoever sees this show will leave in a great mood.”

Due to the cast’s hard work and dedication, some audience members agreed DSU’s “Much Ado About Nothing” turned out to be a great production. 

“I think others should see this play because it is funny, and I feel that people should support our theater department and our school in general,said Jazmine Banks, a freshman general education major from Las Vegas. She attended the play’s second showing Sept. 18.

“So far most audience members leave smiling and just love the play,” Beecher said.