Radio change – the holidays have a new sound

Dixie State University’s radio station has given the community of St. George something it has been wanting.

After a campus-wide survey and plenty of requests from St. George citizens, DSU’s radio station changed its format from 91.3 The Storm at the end of fall semester, which played top-40 and R&B, to X91.3, which will play more alternative music.

“We figured there’s a hole in the market, and if nobody else is playing it we should,” said Shawn Denevan, communication adjunct instructor and radio operator. “There are eight other stations playing Taylor Swift; we don’t have to be one of those eight.”

Local station X98.9 had to change its alternative format in October because it was not attracting advertisers. Because DSU has a non-commercial license it cannot sell traditional commercial advertising. The majority of the radio funds come from the university.

The survey listed 120 musicians from various genres and asked respondents who they would like to hear on the radio. Alternative was the genre that received the most votes, with top-40 getting the second most votes.

Caylie Taylor, a junior integrated studies major from Canyon Lake, California, said she is excited about the modified format.

“I’m really stoked,” said Taylor, who is also a disc jockey at the station. “I’m excited that when we play music it’s something that I can actually listen to. It’s really easy on the ears, so I feel like it’s universal, so I think more people will actually tune in.”

Some students feel indifferent about the change.

Gabbie Holbrook, a junior integrated studies major from Taylorsville, said she preferred The Storm’s variety.

“I like All-Time Low, The Maine, just alternative stuff, the classics really,” she said. “Those boy bands — they get me.”

Denevan shared a story about how his friend came across construction workers listening to the radio. When asked why they were listening to it, they said because it was the radio station that played alternative music. The expectation with this modified format is that it will increase listenership throughout the community.

Hoping to change the perception of alternative music, Denevan called it “multi-generational.”  

If you are interested in joining the radio program, go to the Jennings building and talk to Denevan in room 103.