Additions to campus accommodate student, departmental needs

With an increase in students, there is a demand for new buildings on campus to keep up with student growth.

The first addition to Dixie State University will be an office addition near the north side of the Burns Arena. This project is already out to bid, which means construction should be started in the near future.

The new space will hold offices for human resources, campus security, athletics and the School of Science and Technology. Paul Morris, vice president of administrative services, said this is a great area because of the availability of space. There is no loss of green area and there will be natural light from windows.

Administrative services also plans to build a new dormitory located in the field between the science building and Nisson Towers. Morris said right now there are only 350 beds on campus and 1,787 beds off campus, compared to the 8,750 students who were enrolled in 2014.

“With Dixie growing, we need more beds to keep up with the demand [of students],” Morris said.

The plan is to add 350 beds. The rooms would possibly include a kitchenette, two bathrooms and multiple vanities. The plan also includes a common area with two full kitchens, study rooms, fitness room, and a video and multipurpose room.

Paul Decker, a freshman criminal justice major from St. George, said if there are more dorms on campus, then students won’t have to rent off-campus housing, and they will be closer to campus.

Morris said this building is going to cost around $20 million. He said the funds will come from an auxiliary service bond, but it will be paid back by the rent from students.

The last building being planned is a physical education and student wellness center.

“The physical education and student wellness center is a missing piece in completing the DSU campus and will support the state’s educations goals and DSU student needs,” Morris said.

As of now, the plan is for it to be placed near Hansen Stadium. This building will hold classrooms, offices, gymnasiums, clinic space, physical education labs and equipment, multipurpose rooms, lockers and dressing rooms and studios.

“Along with the new building, there are going to be new academic programs in the field of health promotion and human performance,” Morris said.

Morris said the cost of this building is going to be around $29 million.

“We are hoping to have $19 million of that come from state appropriations,” Morris said. “$8 million will come from already existing student funds, and $2 million will come from student building reserve.”

The student building reserve means by the end of this fiscal year Dixie State students will have $2 million for this project.

“As of right now, student funds will not be going up due to these buildings,” Morris said.

Morris said that St. George is supporting the plan of these new buildings. 

“We need all of these buildings,” English Instructor Tiffany Draper said. “I am glad to see that these problems have been addressed.”