DSU women battle UVU in exhibition play

Dixie State University women’s basketball traveled to northern Utah for the second week in a row to take on yet another Division I opponent in an exhibition matchup. 

The Storm continued their early season struggles as they lost to Utah Valley University 77-63 and dropped to 0-4 in the young season. Despite the loss, DSU played as well as it has so far. The Storm got out to an early lead and stayed in front for the majority of the game, including a two-point lead that they took into the fourth quarter. 

DSU struggled from the field in the second half, shooting only 36.7 percent as the Wolverines outscored the Storm by 17 points. With four players in double figures, UVU used a balance offensive attack to down the Storm and improve to 4-1. 

Despite the loss, senior center Taylor Mann registered a double-double for DSU. Mann, an english major from Castle Dale, tallied 12 points on 5-8 shooting, 11 rebounds and two blocks in the game. 

“We came out and played hard and aggressive,” Mann said. “We just got tired and couldn’t maintain it for the whole game.” 

Senior guard Chermayne Moore also reached double-figures for the Storm with 10 points and three assists in just 18 minutes as she battled foul trouble. 

DSU will have a quick turnaround as it faces Westminster College in the Burns Arena Tuesday at 7p.m.