Some students have easy time job hunting at DSU

Job hunting — a process everyone loves to hate.

While people may hate it, bringing in an income is necessary in a capitalistic society. As the popular saying goes: Money can’t buy happiness. But in reality, money can help provide a lot of things necessary for happiness.

However, a dichotomy exists. 

It is commonly acknowledged that it is easier to find a job when already employed.

This puts many students in an awkward position — some having never worked before, transfer students new to an area without contacts, or simply funds getting tight unexpectedly.

Jasmine Candland, a junior English major from St. George, is a transfer student from Utah Valley University.  She works for the SunRiver Golf Club.

“My advice would be to be a squeaky wheel,” Candland said. “My boss said that he is not hiring anyone — even though applications are sitting on his desk — because no one is knocking down his door for the job.”

However, many workplaces have moved toward electronic hiring methods.  It can be intimidating to try to wade through the different job sites like Monster, CareerBuilder and Craigslist.  

But the Career Center, located on the fifth floor of the Jeffery R. Holland Centennial Commons, has additional tools for Dixie State University students to use.

The Career Center employees curate jobs on the Dixie job board, which are called in by employers.  A title and a short job description will be listed, as well as how to apply.  Career Center employees will also list all the openings on campus.

Cody Peterson, a junior history major from Cedar City, switched jobs halfway through last semester.  He works on campus in the IT department as an IT technician.  He found his job while browsing the Dixie job board.

“[DSU] is way better at working with my class schedule,” Peterson said. “Harmons — not so much.”

The Career Center also has a physical location with resources such as career counselors, resume creation help, connections for jobs and internships, major exploration and career preparation.

Career Counselor Tyler Slesk gave three tips for job-hunting students:

Update your resume. Make sure all contact information is up-to-date.

Identify your needs. Does the job fit your needs? Do you just need to make ends meet or get your foot in the door?

Understand how to market yourself. Be sure that your resume, appearance and personality demonstrate your skills.

The Career Center is open for drop-in visits, or to be sure you get the time you need, schedule an appointment online by emailing [email protected] or call 435-652-7737. 

The Career Center hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.