Student arrested for child porn

In the wake of a Dixie State University student’s arrest Nov. 2 for child porn, there have been questions raised about DSU’s responsibilities toward students.

After receiving anonymous tips concerning child pornography, detectives from the Washington County police department and Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force members arrested Decius Christopher Duran, a 18-year-old freshman psychology major from Draper. Duran was living in the Abby Apartments, which is a part of DSU campus housing. 

According to a press release from Washington County Sheriff’s Office, “a search warrant was executed on Duran’s phone which revealed numerous images of pornographic material involving both male and female children. The images depicted sexual acts which involved adults as well as acts between two children.” 

While being interviewed by the police, Duran confessed to being a registered sex offender due to an investigation in the state of Alabama. However, the Dixie Sun news has not confirmed his status.

According to a press release Duran “is being held on $100,000 cash-only bail pending his initial appearance in the 5th District Court.”

Jyl Hall, DSU’s director of public relations, outlined DSU’s policy regarding students who have committed crimes and want to live in student housing. 

“As students fill out the application to live in campus housing, they are asked if they have any felony charges against them,  if they are registered sex offenders, or are in the process of being convicted of an offense that would put them on the registry,” Hall said.

She said if the student is deemed to be dangerous, the committee who reviews the application will not permit the applicant to live in campus housing. As policy stands now, sexual offenders have not been approved by the committee to live in campus housing.

However, this system relies on the honesty of the applicant, Hall said. She said DSU does not run a background check on the student housing applicants as the cost would be prohibitive. As of right now, it is free to apply to live in student housing, but this would not be the case if all applicants needed to submit to a background check.   

“It’s a dichotomy,” said dean of students Del Beatty. “[We have to] finding the balance between creating rules and regulations to keep everyone safe, and then respecting people’s rights.”

Beatty said there are several sex offenders on campus.

Hall said there is a new admission policy for sex offenders and violent felons in the works right now. It has been through the review process and will be up for approval in the January board of trustees meeting, Hall said. Students seeking admission, as well as current students, who have committed violent crimes or are sex offenders will have to defend their admission to DSU.

“We would be among the first universities, if not the very first, in Utah to implement a policy like this,” Hall said. 

As for Duran’s academic future, Beatty said students who are charged with a serious crime are cited by DSU with a behavioral sanction. He said as the complete withdrawal deadline is Thursday, Duran will likely not be able to withdraw from his classes and will fail them.