DSU women’s golf yet to have top-half finish

Eagle Glen Golf Club in Corona, California, proved to be the victor Monday and Tuesday as the Dixie State University women’s golf team struggled to keep it together in the California Baptist University Invitational. 

The Trailblazers yet again failed to finish in the top-half of the field as they wrapped up their fifth tournament of the year. DSU finished 15th out of an 18-team field with a final team score of 681 (+105) with no players finishing in the top-50. 

Double bogeys and worse littered the DSU scorecards in what proved to be a more common occurrence for the Trailblazers as they finished with only four birdies for the tournament, two of them coming from redshirt junior Cobair Collinsworth. 

There could have been a number of things that contributed to the  “over-par” performance for DSU, such as the extreme elevation or challenging greens, but whatever the case was, the 5,881 yard par-72 course proved to be rough for the Trailblazers. 

Sophomore Katie Ford and Collinsworth both finished with a final score of 166 (+22). Their 22-over-par score had them finishing tied for 52nd place. Ford had nearly as many holes over-par as she did pars for the tournament. Collinsworth, who had the potential for a good second round, spoiled it with an 11 on the par-5 fifth hole. 

The remaining three players for Trailblazers each finished in the bottom-third of the 100-player field. Freshman Ashley Malone carded rounds of 85 (+13) and 87 (+15) to finish tied for 73rd with a 28-over-par 172. Fellow freshman, Ashley Fernandez, finished with a final score of 177 (+33) to finish tied for 86th, while sophomore Mei Brennan came in 93rd place, shooting a 41-over-par 185.

DSU will seek to rebound with a hopeful top-half finish as the team heads to Primm, Nevada next month for the Missouri-St. Louis Las Vegas Desert Classic March 5 and 6 at the Primm Valley Golf Club.