Campus safety a priority for students

As Dixie State University is steadily increasing security measures around campus, the faculty asks that students do their part in crime prevention.

Year after year, DSU maintains and adds to the resources around campus, such as security cameras and lighting; however, a large part of campus safety depends on its students. Campus police would like students to help by reporting any incidents of crime they witness.

It’s important students know where to locate security offices and that they make a report if they see suspicious activity on campus, said Dr. Peter Gitau, vice president of student affairs. His No. 1 concern is to make students aware of security measures already in place.

DSU currently employs six police officers as part of the security and campus police department, which they are looking to expand. It’s an accredited state police agency located in the North Burns Administration Offices.

The next step for DSU security is a 24-hour campus police program. Interim Police Chief Ron Isaacson said he would like to have more employees, so they can have two officers per shift instead of just one.

“We are growing, and when we have more growth, you’ve got more square footage to cover, you’ve got more people to monitor, and we are looking at that,” Gitau said.

Almost 500 security cameras monitor the campus. The cameras, which are strategically placed in public areas of campus that may invite crime, are always running and periodically monitored, Gitau said. Most of the buildings have cameras, but some of the smaller buildings, like the Performance Arts Center, are still lacking.

DSU is continually adding more and more cameras as funding allows, Isaacson said.

“There are never enough cameras,” Isaacson said.

DSU is also working to add lighting around campus. Dennis Cox, event services and risk management health and safety officer, said he has pushed for additional lighting around campus, especially near campus housing.

The elimination of dark spots on campus reduces opportunities for crime, Gitau said.

Aside from utilizing the security measures in place, practicing mindfulness and individual safety is another area DSU stresses to its students.

“I think DSU is a very, very safe campus,” Gitau said. “We just want to let new students know that a big chunk of that safety depends on you. There are crimes of opportunity that can be easily decreased if we take measures to protect ourselves.”

Isaacson gave a list of things students can do for their personal safety:

• Lock your door at home both when you leave and while you’re there. Talk with your roommates to ensure they do the same.
  • Lock your car both when it’s parked and when you’re driving.
  • Don’t leave your possessions unattended.
  • Carry a cell phone with you and when needed, make a phone call for help.
  • Be aware of your surroundings while walking around campus.
  • Stand up for yourself. Asserting yourself will make you less of a target for criminals.
  • Get to know someone before spending time alone with him or her.
  • When you leave home, let someone know where you are and what time you will come home.
  • Avoid walking alone, especially in dark or deserted areas.
  • If you are uncomfortable in a situation or feel nervous, get out.
  • Avoid drugs and alcohol and other people who use them.
  • Take the self-defense class offered at DSU.

The students of DSU should partner with the university to foster a safe learning environment. Watching out for one another and reporting incidents to campus police are key elements of that partnership, Gitau said.

“Speak up, use your voice, and let somebody know,” Isaacson said. “Don’t be afraid to say something.”