Dixie Idol gives local talent opportunities, venue

It’s that time of year again and talented singers at Dixie State University are jamming out at Dixie Idol, held throughout the week in the Gardner Center.

Samantha Kidd, a sophomore dance major from Las Vegas and the public events chair under the student life branch of DSUSA said the turn out this year was higher than last year.

“The initial round had more people than last year and we’re hoping to get about triple our numbers for this year’s finale,” Kidd said.

The finale will showcase three finalists: Ozaiah Manor, Josie Brett and Sarah Jane. It will be held on Wednesday in the Cox Auditorium at 7:30 p.m.

“The top three will get a cash prize,” Kidd said. “First place gets $250, second gets $150 and third gets $100.”

To make the finale stand out from the rest of the competition, DSU has secured additional entertainment in comedian Preacher Lawson. Finalist on season 12 of America’s Got Talent and, according to his website, “amazing and hilarious,” Preacher Lawson has been performing comedy on stage since he was 17.

“We’re hoping that all these [new] things mixed together will bring a bigger crowd,” Kidd said.

Starting with about 18 contestants, the competition has been whittled down to three through performances throughout the last week. After the contestants perform for audiences, the audiences are directed to a google form and have the chance to vote off their least favorite contestant based on their performance.

Bailey Carter, a freshman communication major from Payson, said he enjoyed competing in Dixie Idol because anybody can do it and it encouraged him to perform in musical genres that he hadn’t done much with before.

“People can broaden their horizons,” Carter said. “Instead of just sticking with one genre, we can grow.”

Carter said if you love music, it’s an opportunity to show that off to crowds.

Sarah Jane, a freshman undeclared major from St. George and finalist in this year’s Dixie Idol said she’s been performing around the community for about two years but hadn’t ever participated in Dixie Idol before.

“The variety of the singers is really interesting to listen to,” Sarah Jane, a freshman undeclared major from St. George, said. “It’s really fun.”

Kidd said the best part of the competition for her has been seeing all the talent that exists at DSU.

“You wouldn’t even know that some of these people have a voice, and they’re amazing — it’s just crazy,” Kidd said.