OPINION: Stay home

Graphic by Kelsey Jackson.

If you’re going out, you’re being selfish.

Teens and young adults everywhere are still going out for spring break and not practicing quarantine suggestions recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention due to the original belief that COVID-19 detrimentally affects older people with underlying health issues. 

In Texas, 44 students have the infamous coronavirus after a spring break trip to Mexico.

Florida college student tests positive for the coronavirus after spring break trip.

These are just a couple of the headlines circulating around social media of young adults disregarding their health and more susceptible people’s health.

According to the CDC, 29% of infected cases were people ranging from 20-44 years in age. Even though that percentage is lower than the range for 44 and up, that is still a staggering percentage of younger people suffering from this illness. 

As a young adult, you are still at risk for contracting COVID-19 and are still very likely to die from the disease as well, so take these precautions seriously. 

According to the CDC, not only are you at risk for contracting the virus yourself, but you’re also spreading the disease and carrying it to the next person who may not be able to fight the disease.

Older people and people with underlying health conditions are at more risk of becoming more ill and having a harder time fighting off the virus. 

Take your grandparents or your parents into consideration; it’s time to be mature and start looking out for our more at-risk people in the community and making sure we don’t continue spreading the virus. 

This is a serious situation and it sucks for everyone with strict quarantine orders and loss of work, school and our social lives; however, putting the people most at risk for this disease before our own pleasures is the safest and most necessary thing for us to do as a whole. 

The sooner we can stop the spread of the virus, the sooner we can start getting back to our normal lives.

It sucks and it’s boring, but it’s the right thing to do for the more susceptible people out there.

Lilliana Rogers, DSN Staff

Some ways to help encourage others to stay home could include:

• Helping out and checking on more susceptible people during this time. By limiting their time outside, it also lowers the risk of them spreading and suffering from the virus.
  • Video chats instead of face-to-face interactions with your friends. This will keep you from being exposed to COVID-19. Video chatting is a great way to keep in touch with friends while still following social distancing guidelines.
  • Give yourself some personal time. Read a book, catch up on your favorite show or pick up an old hobby.