What to buy: Holiday gift guide

As Christmas comes upon us, it’s time we start thinking about gifts, what to get, how to get it. Bailey Chism gives us ideas for what to get our loved ones. Photo courtesy of Google.

With Thanksgiving behind us and Christmas looming ahead, it’s time to get your head in the game of gift-giving. 

Thinking of the perfect gift for a loved one is sometimes a difficult task. There are countless gifts to choose from, so here is a list to give you inspiration this holiday season.

Gifts for mom 

Giving gifts to mothers seems like a difficult task because they already have everything they want. What else is there to get them? Most of us want to give our mothers something sentimental and meaningful, the kind of thing that will remind them of us when we aren’t in the house anymore.

“I love giving gifts that have a sentimental meaning, like pictures, letters, and blankets,” said Sydney Johansen, a junior education major from Tooele. 

Oftentimes, the best thing to get them is something they’ll use every day. As college students, we don’t have a lot of money to spare during the holidays, so we need to find something cheap that will still put a smile on her face. 

Etsy is a great place to go Christmas shopping for your mom. They have items that are cute, cheap, meaningful, and everything needed in a Christmas gift. The ideas are endless there, if you can think of it, it’s probably on there. Etsy is a great place for spa care items, so consider giving your mom a spa care Christmas. This is a gift that may help her relax and unwind after a long Christmas season. 

Another option is something for the kitchen like a Christmas-themed potholder set, a cute mug, or a personalized cutting board. These are things she’ll always need and it comes from someone she loves. 

Gifts for dad

It always seems so hard to shop for a father. For the women shopping for their fathers, it can be difficult shopping for the opposite sex because we don’t know what they would like. 

“I like choosing gifts based on their favorite things and personalities, as well as fun personalized items that are more meaningful and memorable,” said Alex Johansen, a senior criminal justice major from Tooele. 

A great and useful gift is a personalized wallet. You can engrave a cute message on the inside or a picture on the front, so he’ll always think of you when he uses it.

If he doesn’t have a ton of keychains on his keys, a personalized key ring would be a great addition. This is something small that has a picture of your family or a nice message that he can carry around with him. 

Gifts for siblings 

Shopping for a sibling is probably the easiest out of the family members because they usually tell us more about what they like. For sisters, find something you know they love doing or using. Jewelry is never a bad option; find a cute necklace or bracelet they can wear and think of you. Much like our mothers, they may need the chance to relax and unwind at the end of the day, so a spa kit for them is a great option as well. 

Siblings can have plenty of inside jokes, so something that can remind them of that is always a winner. You can also give them a funny T-shirt or picture that they can look at and laugh with you about. 

Shopping for our brothers can be a lot like shopping for our fathers, so something small and meaningful can be perfect. A keychain or wallet they can carry around with them every day is a good choice. Since it’s been back in style, getting them a chain to wear around their neck would be a great gift as well. 

Gifts for besties 

Shopping for our best friends can be the most fun but stressful thing about Christmas. There’s so much we want to do for them and how do we fit it into one gift? It doesn’t need to be a huge gift to be meaningful, so find something you know they’d love and use all the time.

Socks with your faces on them is a fun idea that will remind them of you every time they look at them. A picture frame with your favorite picture and quote is always a good idea. Something they would use all the time would be a blanket with your favorite picture on it, it’s sentimental and it’ll keep them cozy. 

Gifts for significant others 

Finding the perfect gift for your significant other doesn’t need to be impossible. The hard part about it is them telling us we don’t need to get them anything. So we go in blindly looking for something they would love. The best thing to give them is something with sentimental value that will always remind them of you.

A hoodie or shirt with your anniversary date engraved on it is something they would love to wear and think of you. A memory box that you can hold all your favorite memories in is something they would love because now they have a spot to put pictures, movie tickets, receipts, and many more fun, meaningful memories.

You can even start a new tradition and gift them a new Christmas ornament every year with a picture, memory or quote that you can hang on the tree. 

Christmas gifts don’t need to be expensive to be meaningful, it just needs to be something you know they love. Christmas is the time of year we celebrate our friendships and family and gift them something that means a lot to them.