OPINION | TikTok is far from being overrated

TikTok is a daily activity in many student’s lives. Whether it’s for instructional or entertainment purposes, it gets the job done. Photo illustration by Frankie Medina.

When in doubt, TikTok it out. This seems to be the case for people these days as they try to find entertainment to keep them occupied.

TikTok was initially invented in China. It kept growing more and more in the United States. The question is, why? I think it all began when we were stuck in quarantine due to the rise in COVID-19 cases. We had nothing to do and nowhere to go. TikTok seemed to be all it was hyped up to be. I, for one, do not think it is overrated. It brings joy and laughter and there are perks that come with it. 

For all young adults (and even some older ones) TikTok has been something to do on your free time while also enjoying it completely. It is, in fact, not overrated and if others (who didn’t use it) gave it a shot, they would be completely surprised as to what they will find.

Although we have similar platforms to TikTok, Instagram Reels are not as popular. Could this be a coincidence or just appealing to popularity? Despite Instagram being around for years, TikTok is still the most popular when it comes to watching videos. TikTok has a more sleek and innovative design, meaning it is pleasing to the eye when you open it and easy to navigate. It does not seem overwhelming like Instagram can feel when you open it and see multiple stories that you have not seen and probably won’t ever see . It has more discussions and chatting available in the comments to include yourself.

On TikTok, you can come across a lot more than just renegades. It can be informative as well as eye opening.

The Gabby Petito case gained millions of views and trending hashtags on TikTok. It was all everyone was talking about for weeks. As well as more sensitive topics like anxiety and stress being talked about and helping others with not feeling alone. This is important because it can bring light to topics that should be discussed. It also helps people get through tough times and feel like they belong to a community or group.

Long attention spans are hard to come by in this generation. I cannot keep as good of attention on 15 minute YouTube videos as the 60 second to three minute videos on TikTok. This has been one of the few downsides to TikTok that I have run into because I have gotten used to the shorter videos.

Posting videos on TikTok is not for everyone. Luckily you don’t have to. You can be a viewer, creator or both. Both can be equally as fun, exciting and entertaining. Personally, I have been a part of the creating and viewing side of TikTok. They are equally as enjoyable and worth it when you have a one hit wonder video that gets a couple thousand views and likes. Although I have heard there are some neat tips and tricks to follow if you do want to become an active creator.

TikTok has grown tremendously over the past few years, and it keeps growing day by day. There is such a variety of topics on the platform that there is something for everyone.

For everyone, TikTok is something to do on your free time while providing you with unlimited entertainment. It is, in fact, not overrated and if others (who didn’t use it) gave it a shot, they would be completely surprised as to what they will find.

Overall, TikTok is easy to use, self-sufficient and completely worth the time spent.