DSU announces new executive director of intercollegiate athletics

Ken Beazer was announced the permanent executive director of intercollegiate athletics March 30. Beazer meets with coaches after the announcement. Annie Sorensen | Sun News Daily

After conducting a nationwide search, Dixie State University has selected a new executive director of intercollegiate athletics after Jason Boothe stepped down Jan. 7.

University president Richard “Biff” Williams announced Ken Beazer is the permanent executive director of intercollegiate athletics March 30.

Beazer has served as interim athletic director since January when he was selected to replace Boothe.

“Ken was named our Interim Executive Director for Intercollegiate Athletics on Jan. 14 and has just done a wonderful and tremendous job,” Williams said.

After a thorough nationwide search, the top candidates were selected to come to campus to meet with different organizations, coaches and student athletes. Williams said the choice for the new athletic director was obvious. Beazer was later selected to remain in the position following the search.

Beazer will be the third athletics director during DSU’s NCAA Division I era following Dexter Irvin, 2006-2010, and Boothe, 2010-2022.

Previous experience

Before Beazer’s occupation at DSU, he had many accomplishments as the director of intercollegiate athletics at Southern Utah University from 2006 to 2015. During Beazer’s time at SUU, he led the university as they transitioned to the Big Sky Conference in 2012. 

Beazer also served as director of athletic development at Utah State University.

“He developed and initiated at the time, the largest capital campaign in the history of USU athletics which included the fundraising for a 25 million dollar renovation which is now the Maverick Stadium,” Williams said. 

Along with his experience, Williams is looking forward to having Beazer’s competitiveness, determination, passion, integrity and visions contribute to building the foundation of Trailblazer Athletics.

Visions and goals

Beazer said he has evaluated every playing and practicing facility we have over the past two and a half months and stated every facility needs an upgrade. 

The improvements Beazer mentioned include, but are not limited to, a clubhouse addition for the women’s tennis team, the softball facilities, and additions to the men’s and women’s golf programs. 

“Facilities is one area that we can as an institution be top of the league, or close to the top,” Beazer said.

Beazer also stressed the importance of finding common ground amongst the community and believes athletics is something that can be agreed upon during the name change process.

“I don’t think there is anything we do as an institution that brings the community, alumni, student athletes, students, faculty, staff, everybody together for one cause, at one moment, like athletics,” Beazer said.

Tassels, titles and traditions

The three T’s of Beazer’s focus are tassels, titles and traditions, and believes everything is built upon them. 

For tassels, Beazer emphasized the importance of student athletes graduating and making the process easier for them. 

“If you’re not in this game to win it, you shouldn’t be here… we have got to be pushing for championships, personal bests and things in that nature,” Beazer said.

Beazer is looking forward to working with the community to create and maintain traditions at DSU. 

“I am grateful for the opportunity President Williams has entrusted in me to lead Trailblazer Athletics into the NCAA Division I era,” Beazer said. “I look forward to working collaboratively with our student athletes, coaches, staff and community to advance the university’s mission through high-level athletic competition.”