DSU students eligible for free food through ‘Come and Get it’ program

Alyssa Dodge, a freshman biology major from Kingman, Arizona, enjoys leftover pizza. The “Come and Get It” program allows students to sign up to receive leftover food from events on campus. Trey Urban | Sun News Daily

Dixie State University introduced a new program for students in which they can sign up to receive leftover food from campus events. 

This program is used in universities across the country, and has been successful in many. It cuts down on food waste and goes directly to students.

“We are hopeful that this program will help with limiting our food waste on campus and the events hosted here,” said Brett Coleman, marketing coordinator for student affairs. “Why not see the extra food go straight to our students?”

With the program being fairly new, there haven’t been any opportunities for students to receive food, but the creators of the program are hopeful it will be successful. It was announced recently and already has 125 students signed up to receive food. 

“I think it will be very beneficial for students to be able to get free meals once the program is fully functioning,” said Anilee Adams, assistant director of clubs and services. 

It’s not a constant program, students will only receive food when there are leftovers from a catered event on campus. It will be a first come, first serve basis.

Christian Hildebrandt, executive director of campus life and wellness, said it will be a dynamic situation where meals will be provided as there is a surplus of food. He also said it was a collaborative effort with Adams and Mikyla Richardson, executive chef of auxiliaries, to discuss and create this partnership to benefit students.

There aren’t any requirements other than they have to be a student at DSU. Students can sign up by searching “Come and Get it” under organizations on Blazer Link. Once they have become a member of the organization, they will receive texts whenever food is available. They will know where, when and what meals are available from the event. Hildebrandt said students can opt-in to the program at any time as well as opt-out whenever they need to.