Utah Tech women’s golf team concludes fall season, prepares for spring

The Utah Tech women’s golf team completed its fall season Oct. 25. Photo courtesy of UT Athletics.

The Utah Tech University women’s golf team concluded its fall season Oct. 25, and here’s everything you need to know about it.

The Trailblazers’ fall season consisted of four collegiate tournaments that provided more experience for the young team.

“I am happy with how this fall [season] went overall,” said Lindsey Stucki, head women’s golf coach. “We showed we are capable of some low scores and were able to shoot some record scores.”

New faces

Gina Higbee, assistant women’s golf coach, joined the Trailblazers Aug. 22 for the upcoming season. Higbee played collegiate golf at both Idaho State University and Utah Valley University. 

Higbee brought a wealth of golf knowledge to the team and has a variety of coaching experience including leading Lone Peak High School to three state championships. 

Along with a new assistant coach, four new athletes made an appearance at the Utah Valley University Hobble Creek Classic season-opener. 

These new athletes were:

• Brooke Gelinas, a freshman population health major from Bonney Lake, Washington
  • Corinne Lillywhite, a freshman biology major from Eugene, Oregon
  • Aubree Johnson, a sophomore communication studies major from Uintah
  • Jane Olson, a freshman general studies major from American Fork

Olson said the upperclassmen took the freshmen under their wings to ensure an easy transition and bond as a team. 

Highlights

The motto for the team this year is “we, not me,” reminding the Trailblazers to encourage each other to play their best.

The Trailblazers also proved they were capable of shooting low scores during the fall season.

During the Eastern Washington Eagle Invitational, Abby Livingston, a senior healthcare administration major from Novi, Michigan, was able to pick up four birdie putts to tie for No. 10 overall and posted her third career top-10 finish. 

Along with the team’s performance, the chemistry was also enhanced to result in a better experience for the athletes. Olsens said the team consists of driven, hard-working individuals that get along very well. 

“We work together and push each other to get better,” Olson said. “We’re super supportive and want to see each other succeed. We all have the ability to play great golf and we know that.”

What’s next?

“The fall results give us good feedback about how we can improve individually and as a team,” Olsen said. “We all know what we need to work on to be ready for the spring.”

The Trailblazers are looking forward to taking advantage of the southern Utah weather and will continue working through the winter to refine their game.

Olsen said the team plans on prioritizing their health and continuing to work in the weight room to be in the best shape mentally and physically for the spring. 

Stucki said: “I think we are on the right track when it comes to the things we are working on at practice. We spend a lot of time on putting and short game, and this is improving with all the ladies. We are going to spend some time working on the mental side of the game during our off-season.”

Livingston said the team is extremely motivated and is aware of the potential they have to win.

Utah Tech’s women’s golf team will begin its spring season Feb. 6 at the California State University Bakersfield Valley Invitational, followed by the Utah Tech Zupas Trailblazer Invitational Feb. 13 at Green Springs golf course.