Utah Tech student dies after falling off Campus View Suites II balcony

Overview of Utah Tech University student housing. Misha Mosiichuk | Sun News Daily

A Utah Tech University student died early Sunday morning after falling from a balcony on a campus housing complex.

Utah Tech freshman Peyton Hall was pronounced dead at the scene Dec. 4 after he fell from a fifth-floor balcony of Campus View Suites II. Hall’s roommates witnessed the fall and called 911.

A candlelight vigil in honor of Hall will be held Dec. 6 at 5:30 p.m. in the North Encampment Mall hosted by the Trailblazer Activities Team.

According to Jordon Sharp, vice president of marketing and communications, the Utah Tech Police Department arrived at the scene around 2:30 a.m. and began lifesaving efforts until paramedics arrived.

In a statement, Sharp said Hall’s death appeared to be accidental; however, the exact cause of death is still being determined. Officials completed a toxicology report on the scene, and the case is currently being reviewed by the Utah State Medical Examiner’s Office.

Kelsa Lundstedt | Sun News Daily

“The family was contacted, and Utah Tech officials worked with the Southwest Behavioral Health Center mobile crisis team who arrived on the scene in the early morning to provide mental health support to students and others involved,” Sharp said in the statement.

Students and community members seeking mental health support can go to the front desk of CVS II to set up a time to meet with a mental health professional. The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is also available 24/7 by dialing 988.

“Peyton was an involved and loved student in good academic standing at Utah Tech University, and our sincere condolences go out to his family, friends, and loved ones during this tragic time,” Sharp said in the statement.

This is a developing story. Sun News Daily will update this article with more information as it becomes available.