Utah Tech women’s golf takes third at invitational despite weather conditions

Girls golf teammates and coaches at Big Shots. Photo Courtesy Lindsey Stucki

Utah Tech University’s women’s golf team placed third in the Utah Tech Cafe Zupas Trailblazer Invitational at Green Springs Golf Course in Washington Feb. 14. 

It was Utah Tech’s first Division I event they hosted where nine schools competed in the tournament including Weber State and Utah Valley University.

Other schools include California Baptist University, Stephen F. Austin State University, Tarleton State University, Idaho State University, California State University and Purdue University Fort Wayne

The starting lineup for Utah Tech featured:

• Abby Livingston, a senior healthcare administration major from Novi, Michigan.
  • Brooke Gelinas, a freshman general studies major from Bonney Lake, Washington.
  • Corinne Lillywhite, a freshman general studies major from Eugene, Oregon.
  • Grace Williams, a junior marketing major from Gold Coast, Australia.
  • Jane Olson, a freshman general studies from Bluffdale.

“As a team, we play Green Springs often and knew with our knowledge of the course we could play well,” Olson said. “We made a great bounce back as a team in the second round and finished third place as a team – our best finish yet.”

Olson said the 54-hole tournament ended early because of unforeseen bad weather. The plan was for 36 holes played on the first day and 18 holes played on the second day. She said the unfortunate weather made the competition memorable. It was the first time competing in the snow for her as well as others who competed. 

“It’s a bit of a bummer, but overall so many good things to take away from this tournament,” Lindsey Stucki, head women’s golf coach, said. “We managed our games well out there and unfortunately cannot control the weather.”

Livingston said it rained, hailed and snowed all at the same time. She said it was important to remain positive about the tournament, despite enduring terrible weather.

“The dynamic we have on this team has only made us better and motivate one another,” Livingston said. “We can see a win in our future, and this program is only going to get a lot stronger.”

Stucki said three Utah Tech athletes finished in the top 10 overall during the tournament. She said she is very proud of the entire team. 

“I’m super proud of the grit and determination the entire team showed,” Stucki said. “Even though the third round didn’t count, they were making a strong push through the 11 holes they played in some really terrible, cold, rainy conditions.”

Stucki said the way the girls played during the tournament made her realize “what these girls are made of” and “the type of players we recruit here at Utah Tech.”

“They are gritty, tough, determined and play for the team,” Stucki said. “There isn’t much more you can ask for as a coach.”

Women’s golf will play next at Sunbrook Golf Course in St. George. They will be competing in the Southern Utah Pizza Hut Lady Thunderbird Invitational March 9-11.