Don’t struggle this midterm season, use these tips from Utah Tech professionals

Serenity Jackson, a sophomore nursing major from Mililani,Hawaii, received some advice from Jack Troyer, a sophomore psychology major from Idaho Falls, Idaho, for her writing assignment. Miki Akiyama | Sun News Daily

Midterms are here, and if you don’t want to waste your time studying only to forget what you studied when the exam comes, use these five study tips.

Plan ahead

“Go into studying knowing exactly what you want to work on and how long you need to work on it,” said Haylie Jacobson, Writing Center coordinator. “Also, set little goals for yourself, it’s important to measure how much you’re learning so you know what you need to work on more and what you’re confident with.”

Without planning ahead, you may sit down and realize that you don’t know what to study or where to start. This will only add to your stress and shorten the amount of time you can spend studying. Planning this out ahead of time will allow your studying to go smoothly and help you be more confident in the information you are taking in. 

Start early

The more time you have the better. Getting started early can give you that extra time that most people may not have and will allow you to easily cover more topics. It will also allow you to spread your time out in a more efficient way. 

“Nobody wants to study for five hours straight; at that point, studying becomes a chore,” said Cambrie Richardson, Peer Coach coordinator. “It’s much better for you to break up your study time, study for 20 minutes, have a snack, study for 10 minutes, go hang out with friends and then study for 30 minutes.”

Taking breaks can help as it will allow you to rest your brain for a little bit and then go back into studying with a clear head. 

Focus on one class at a time

It’s easy to get sidetracked while studying, especially when you have multiple classes to study for. Before you start studying, decide which class to study for first and then go from there. 

If you try to study for multiple classes at once, you could get information mixed up and you’ll be less likely to remember it when the time comes to take your test. If you focus on one at a time, you can get all of the information you need for that class down before you begin studying for another. 

Find or create a specific study space

If you have ever found yourself sitting down to study for a test only to have your roommates or many gadgets in your room distract you, then you’re not alone. Distractions can cause a lot of frustration when attempting to study. Finding or creating a specific study space will help lessen this problem. 

One thing you can do is clear the desk at your apartment of anything that isn’t vital to your studying. You can then turn your phone off and turn your full attention to the class material.

Another solution would be to go to a quiet space that is specifically designed for studying such as the library. The Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons offers many computers for students to use and even an entire floor where conversations are prohibited. 

Utilize campus resources

Utah Tech University offers many resources that can aid you in your classes and studying. 

The Writing Center is located on the 4th floor of the HCC and is a service that can provide much-needed help to students who may struggle with writing. The Peer Coaching Program is designed to help first-year students transition into college life and this can include one-on-one tutoring. 

Additionally, the job of a professor is to make sure students have the knowledge necessary to pass the class.

“I think the best resource on campus is your professor,” Richardson said. “They know what’s on the test, and they are there to help you succeed.” 

The next time you find yourself sitting down to study for your midterms, use these five strategies and it will help you pass your next test.