Meet your 2023-2024 student body election candidates

These are your 2023-2024 student body election candidates. Sydney Johnson & Kelsa Lundstedt | Sun News Daily

It is time for you to get your voting slips handy as the elections of Utah Tech University’s student body officials for the 2023-2024 school year are taking place March 7-9.

This election includes voting for student body president, vice president of academics, and vice president of clubs and organizations.

There are two candidates running for each position. A debate will take place between the candidates March 7. Voting will open that same day, and winners will be announced March 9.

Jose Toral-Martinez

Student body president candidate

“Some of my goals are to represent the students as a diversity on the Board of Trustees. We have a really good representation right now, but I think it is beneficial to have a student voice that knows a little bit more about diversity on campus to help spread more awareness.”

Year in school: Senior

Major: Communication studies

Hometown: St. George

Campaign platform: To improve diversity, create a more open-door policy and focus on student involvement

Instagram: @josetoral_98

Karson Ray

Student body president candidate

“You need a loud voice in a room of administration to share student perspective and make sure that student needs are met. I hope to be that voice to make sure that students are the focus.”

Year in school: Senior

Major: Biology

Hometown: Hurricane

Campaign platform: Have students at the center of every conversation on campus, continue the building of new student union, use student initiative funds to help campus improvements, keep and create traditions on campus, and implement good mental health practices across campus

Instagram: @karson4sbp

Aileigh Hansen

Vice president of academics candidate

“I want to get students more engaged in their educational career on campus. I really care, not only on the endeavors of students with their academics, but also their involvement and social lives on campus.”

Year in school: Senior

Major: Management

Hometown: St. George

Campaign platform: Inclusivity, community and partnership

Instagram: @aileighhansen

Nathan Gledhill

Vice president of academics candidate

“I am trying to create a culture of inclusive innovation where we can bring together all the departments and students from diverse backgrounds to start creating something new. It is only when we bring together different ideas, different cultures and different perspectives that we can make progress and start changing the future.”

Year in school: Junior

Major: Mathematics

Hometown: St. George

Campaign platform: Inclusiveness, inspiration and innovation

Instagram: @innovate_with_nate

Emma Bateman

Vice president of clubs and organizations candidate

“I want all clubs to feel like they are equal compared to other clubs. I want to have everyone see the fun in clubs, and I want clubs to really feel like they matter and that their voice is heard.”

Year in school: Sophomore

Major: Management

Hometown: St. George

Campaign platform: Join the fun – express the fun the clubs on campus have to offer

Instagram: @emmabear.02

Evie Barfuss

“With my experience of being the social impact clubs representation, I can see how clubs can really impact, not just the school as a family, but the community in general. Clubs can help students become future leaders.”

Year in school: Sophomore

Major: Design

Hometown: St. George

Campaign platform: “Beecoming” – working hard and working together as a team to become something great

Instagram: @evie.barfuss

Here is the link to vote for your favorite candidate in each position starting March 7.