Utah Tech softball sweeps WAC rival Seattle U

LB Kahahawai-Kekon, a freshman undecided major, from Wailuka, Hawaii, batting during the stand up for Cancer game on April 8. Lindsey Cozad | Sun News Daily

Going three for three, the Utah Tech University softball team won every game in the two-day series against Seattle University April 7-8.

The two-day series hosted a doubleheader April 7, following an individual game April 8. After defeating Seattle U, Utah Tech is now No. 1 in the WAC Conference with a 9-3 standing.

With perfect weather, and the home field advantage, the Trailblazers were feeling confident going into this weekend after an impressive first half of the season under their belts. The ‘Blazers swept the first game with a final score of 10-2.

No. 3 Madisen Duryea, a junior management major from Dewey, Arizona, hit a home run during the second inning to bring the score up 2-0.

“It felt like the perfect start to the scoring of a big game,” Duryea said.

The powerful beginning to the game continued with five runs scored in the fifth inning to get a 10-2 win in favor of the ‘Blazers.

“We were solid in all phases of each game,” said head coach Randy Simkins. “We pitched very well and hit it very well. Defensively, we were also really good.”

During the second game of the doubleheader, No. 7 Rachel Campbell, a junior biology major from Castle Rock, Colorado, scored another home run for Utah Tech before the bottom of the sixth inning. The end of the sixth inning left the score 12-4 over the Redhawks.

“Having a whole team series win, there is truly no better feeling than a three game series sweep on our home field,” Duryea said.

Wearing pink jerseys and “Standing up to Cancer,” the ‘Blazers played hard once again to obtain the third win in the series April 8. 

Raising the names of people they support in the fight against cancer, Utah Tech and Seattle U joined in unity on the field for a moment of silence before the second inning. Standuptocancer.org funds and develops the newest and most promising cancer treatments to help patients and was the support of the game.

Carrying the momentum of the first two games, the ‘Blazers came out swinging, scoring one run in both the third and fourth innings. These would be the only runs scored in the game, ending the score 2-0.

Simkins said: “Playing well against Seattle U, who has been at the top of the WAC conference for years, is huge for us. It is a huge confidence builder moving forward. We know we can play with them and beat them. It was a huge weekend. We are going to work really hard this week and have a great week of practice to prepare to take on GCU next weekend.”

The ‘Blazers will take conference rival Grand Canyon University in another three game series April 14-15 in Phoenix, Arizona.