Utah Tech softball pitcher receives WAC award, acknowledges team for success

Kate Dolinski, a redshirt fifth-year psychology major from Fort Langley, British Columbia, received WAC award for all of her successes. Photo courtesy of Utah Tech Athletics.

A Utah Tech University softball pitcher was awarded for her hard work on the mound but credited her team for her success.

Kate Dolinski, a redshirt fifth-year psychology major from Fort Langley, British Columbia, started softball when she was around nine years old.

After training with Team Canada players that played college softball in America. Dolinski knew she wanted to have a softball career down south and eventually go back to Canada.

“I’m a very competitive person, so any sport that I kind of picked up I was pretty passionate about,” Dolinski said. “But when I got into high school, probably my junior year was when I fully committed and was like, ‘this is what to do for the future.’”

Dolinski chose to attend Utah Tech because of the sunny, warm weather in St. George and the Division I factor after playing Division II for two years.

“Coming here was a big game changer for my career, and it made me love the game even more,” Dolinski said. “My teammates were the best people in the world, and they pushed me to be better every day, so I can’t thank them enough. Big credits to them.”

Dolinski was recently named Western Athletic Conference Softball Pitcher of the Week for her performance during the three-game sweep against Seattle University. 

In her two starts against Seattle U, Dolinski went 2-0, striking out five batters while giving up just one earned run. During the last game of the series, Dolinski had a four-hit shutout and had only one Seattle U runner reach third base.

Head coach Randy Simkins said Dolinski loves big moments, loves to compete and wants the ball in big situations.

“She’s going to be someone that we’re definitely going to need some big innings out of going forward throughout the rest of the year for sure,” Simkins said.

Ashtyn Bauerle, a redshirt senior sports management and communication studies major from Syracuse, said Dolinski is hardworking, passionate and plays with emotion. 

“As far as her influence on other athletes, it’s probably seeing her compete on the mound with the emotion she plays with,” Simkins said. “That’s definitely infectious throughout our entire team.” 

Dolinski was also complimented for being supportive, celebrating teammates’ victories and helping everyone around her.

Dolinski said she never cared too much about personal accolades and believes the whole team played a part in her achievement. 

“My team makes me want to push myself to do better, and I just want to be able to do the best job that I can for them,” Dolinski said.