Master the art of selling your housing lease with these tips and tricks

There are a few options for on-campus housing, including Campus View Suites I and II and the Abby Apartments. Students who decide to change apartments, transfer schools or move out for personal reasons normally have to sell their housing lease and are struggling to do so. Miki Akiyama | Sun News Daily

If you needed to move back home, received an amazing opportunity elsewhere or even experienced the worst roommates possible, would you know how to sell your housing lease?

There is a long road ahead of you, especially if you need to get out of your lease in the middle of the lease period. That is why it is important to have patience and know what your contract entails before you sign it. Some situations make needing to get out of a lease complicated, but if you keep pushing through, it is possible.

Brandon Nelson, the property manager at 605 Place, said: “It’s a process. Be realistic with that timeline, and as soon as you know you want to sell your lease, take action on it.”

Nelson said these leases are signed and legal contracts. The best and most respectful thing to do is to give your leasing office and roommates a heads-up so they can figure out how they are going to go about the change.

People are usually trying to sell their leases around the December and January months. This could be for many reasons including:

•Graduation

•Moving away

• Bad roommates

•A better housing offer

Since the most common time of year to sell a lease is in the middle of the school year, most students already have their leases and housing situations figured out, which does not leave much space or time for those who need to sell their leases. 

For those students who are trying to sell a lease, the best place to do so would be on social media. Utah Tech University students have many platforms like Instagram, X and Snapchat. The most popular is Snapchat with the Utah Tech stories that students post daily. They post things such as events that are going on, things they see on campus and the leases they are trying to sell.

Haidyn Follett, a sophomore general studies major from Saratoga Springs, said: “Start early because it is so hard to find people, especially when lots of other students are selling their leases. I also would suggest getting really nice photos of wherever you live to make it appealing.”

Asking your friends and family to post those photos can also help. 

“If it’s harder to sell your lease, you can do a special,” said Ellie Lindsay, the assistant property manager at 605 Place. “Like saying you’ll pay the first month’s rent or you’ll pay for their security deposit so they don’t have all those fees, and they can just move in. It makes your lease selling stand out.”

Using these tips and resources as well as those around you is a good place to start when tackling the challenge of selling your housing lease.