The Agvocate: eggs are not dairy, even though they are sold in the dairy aisle

The Staheli Family Farm located in Washington is full of livestock and hosts many events throughout the year, especially during the holidays. While chickens are dairy-free, to some, finding eggs in the dairy aisle might feel strange because they are not considered a dairy product. Mia Tom | Sun News Daily

Eggs are not dairy products. Eggs are laid by chickens which are birds. Dairy products come from animals that have mammary glands such as cows and goats.

Chicken farms in America are ethical, clean and safe. It is a common misconception that chicken farms inject hormones and steroids into chickens. The whole campaign has been funded by corporations who want you to pay more for hormone-free and steroid-free chicken when there have never been those in chickens to start with.

In mainstream media, fear sells products, and agriculture usually is given a bad rep through uneducated people trying to influence the masses. The false information is also funded by “animal rights” activists who are trying to get people to go vegan.

The United States food supply is greatly regulated and constantly undergoing testing, but since big corporations can’t make money off of the truth, they have to make up lies to scare consumers into buying “safe foods.”

Eggs and dairy products are categorized as protein foods by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Both are high in protein, and that is one of the small amount of similarities they share.

Around the age of four months old, laying hens will start to produce eggs daily. As they age, their production will become slower, but on average, people can expect a hen to keep producing eggs for up to six or seven years. In hens, only the left ovary matures to be able to release eggs. However, a single hen’s ovary can hold thousands of little future egg yolks.

When most hens stop producing, they are then butchered for meat. They serve their purpose while they are alive and serve a purpose when butchered. If every laying hen was kept after she stopped producing, farms would not be able to run because it is impractical to keep thousands of alive chickens that cannot produce what Americans need, which is eggs.

It takes up to 25 hours for a hen to produce an egg. It is usual for the shell to be formed in around 19 hours, a process called calcification. In this whole process, a hen is calm while she eats, drinks and relaxes in her living area. Most chicken farms have hundreds of chickens, and for employees to inject or administer chickens with anything harmful, one by one, is truly impossible.

After the egg is laid, it will either be picked up by a chicken farmer or fertilized by a rooster. The eggs we eat do not contain embryos unless a big mistake has happened and an egg was accidentally fertilized. Before the eggs are sold in grocery stores, they must undergo specific procedures to go out to feed the public.

USDA has said that egg processors who participate must spray-wash their eggs with warm water and use a sanitizing rinse and air-drying techniques specified by USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service.

The egg-producing industry plays a significant role in agriculture, providing a valuable source of nutrition and economic stability. The industry has been able to meet the growing demand for eggs while ensuring the welfare of the hens.

The next time you are with your family grocery shopping and they walk up and down the aisle reading all the labels, take the opportunity to share the good news.

American agriculture works tirelessly to put safe and nutritious food options in stores. Teach them to not be fooled by “hormone and steroid-free,” and teach them producers are also consumers. Agriculture is not the enemy.