Students, faculty debate the debates

The presidential debates have been as heated as ever, and while many students know exactly who they are voting for this year, others have had a hard time deciding.

Have the presidential debates helped to change the minds of students who know exactly who they are voting for, or do the debates even matter?

Jesus Granero, a junior accounting major from Mesquite, Nev., said he’s voting for Barack Obama no matter what the presidential debates were like this year

“To me, Mitt Romney did very well in the first presidential debate,” Granero said. “But Obama’s plans for education keep me interested in what he has to offer us the next couple years.”

Granero thinks Obama’s speech is more effective because he has spoken more to the audience in his debates while Romney has spoken directly to Obama.

“Obama has a great way of speaking in public,” Granero said. “But what really matters is what his plans are for the next couple years.”

Rhett Sullivan, a senior communication major from Hurricane, said he feels Mitt Romney has been winning the presidential debates.

“Romney has my vote this year, and while I’ve only watched a small amount of the debates, from what I’ve seen, Romney has been winning,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan said it’s upsetting that most people watch the presidential debates to see who is the better public speaker.

“It’s sad that the way the candidates speak in public determines how they did in the debate,” Sullivan said. “I believe a lot of people vote solely on how the presidents speak in public.”

Patrick Hughes, a senior visual technology major from Mesquite, Nev., said he loves the presidential debates because, instead of commercials and one-on-one interviews, you get to see the candidates in action.

“It’s like looking at two football teams’ rosters trying to figure out who’s the better team,” Hughes said. “The debates are like the teams finally playing against each other, and you really get to see who’s the better candidate.”

Hughes said he believes Romney would do a better job in office than Obama.

“I believe Romney will right this country,” Hughes said. “I’d feel more comfortable with him in office.”

Erin Mylroie, an adjunct humanities teacher, said the presidential debates have been enlightening.

“This isn’t the debate club; this an important part of the democratic process,” Mylroie said. “Although I’ve settled on a candidate, my vote isn’t cast until election day. I like to keep an open mind throughout the debates.”

America seems to be very receptive to the idea of an economic reform, Mylroie said.

“The polls and public opinion indicate that Romney is edging out Obama,” Mylroie said. “Romney has made a stronger showing in the debates.”

Mylroie said she’d like to have a president that represent the qualities of a strong leader during the debates.

“I’d like to have a president that demonstrates grace under pressure, diplomacy, confident intelligence and the ability to toss in a little self-deprecating humor,” Mylroie said. “We all make mistakes and it can be humanizing to admit it with a chuckle and move on.”

While views vary on who will be the best candidate for president, many students agree that the presidential debates help in their decision making during each electoral year.