Slut shaming unfair

One could hold a woman accountable for her actions loosely based on her sex, but that does not make it right.

My question is why? Why does sex matter when considering a dismissive term we brandish easily towards women? Being morally acceptable should not be limited by sex, clothing or physical representation.

@skylargrey on twitter made this comment about the performance by Miley Cyrus at the MTV awards:

“Keep ur tongue in your mouth @MileyCyrus and put some clothes on….

And yet if you look at her album cover “c’mon let me ride” she is dressed very provocatively. 

Defending Cyrus, Kirsten Clodfelter wrote:  

“Beyond making the expected, extensive rounds on social media, plenty of broadcast news stations also prominently featured what is clearly this year’s most important story. CNN successfully stayed on top of such hard-hitting, award-winning journalism by posting a piece about the “shocking” performance on their site’s main page first thing Monday morning, which makes perfect sense, because Miley Cyrus twerking in a flesh-tone bikini is unquestionably more important than the deaths of Syrian children by sarin gas.”

Good morals should have no judgment, it should be blind to the way a person dresses.  The hypocrisy of slut shaming-focusing on women-is baseless and ignorant, and as a culture we have focused our bias to the slim gender focus of just women. Putting women on a pedestal, and in the same token devaluing them, by condescending women, and taking away their right to choose is pointless. 

Both men and women, judging a woman who steps beyond the normal ideas and breaks convention for the sake of her own self discovered truth, it is the obsession with tradition that defines who a woman is when she breaks cultures norms.

Granted, I am an advocate of conservative clothing to a point. My problem is singling out “women” as if they should be held to a higher standard than men when it comes to sex. The way they dress and even how they characterize themselves, say if a woman wears a revealing outfit she is a slut. A man wears nothing but underwear and he is a stud.

As students in this ever-changing culture in America, we can take the step forward and look beyond gender, holding each other to good natured propriety, morality while overlooking differing moral views. Without first thinking this is a woman is acting in a slutty manner when she hold sex with the same ambivalence some men do or want to dress sexy. Rather in the true nature of non-sexist moral behavior ask:  “Is what this person doing, appropriate for them as an individual?” 

I am a firm believer in freedom of choice whether a person is male or female. Even if a person is behaving in an amoral fashion. Is it not his or her right to do so without judgment from the other sex? We too easily diminish the fact men and women have always been equal halves of the same whole. By holding each gender to a different stander and code of conduct.