Opportunities for unique summer experiences not out of reach

I begin every summer with a list of things I want to do, and I’ve found it’s the best way to have the perfect summer.  

The first step to utilizing your summer the way you want and not feeling like it was one big, wasted weekend is to make a plan. Decide what you want to do with your summer, make a plan to do it, and stick to that plan.

The productive summer

While most students have a job during the school year, an extra summer job is a good way to be productive. Earning money, especially as a college student, is important in order to handle the weight of tuition, so the more you can work during the summer the better. 

Some students get another job like a nanny position or a job in manual labor such as landscaping in addition to their regular job. These jobs often pay more than most fast food or coffee house jobs and are good seasonal work. 

If you look at the many emails from the Career Center, internships are plentiful and a good way to use your summer. An internship is sometimes paid, so you still have some money to stock pile, but, paid or not, internships are good for your future career. Internships give you experience in your field of study, making you look more competent to future employers and grad schools.   

Study abroad or teaching trips are also productive ways to see the world and learn something new. 

There are many programs available to people to go teach English across the world or study at another university in Europe or Asia. Dixie State University has a few study abroad opportunities, including one to China. You could take a service trip to a developing nation and make a difference. One program available is Costa Rica Outward Bound, which involves both service and adventure. All these things would make for a productive and unforgettable summer. 

How about a change of scenery?

A road trip with friends can be a fun way to jump start your summer. There are several interesting destinations that aren’t too far away from St. George. Las Vegas is only a couple of hours away, which would make for a good weekend getaway. San Diego or Los Angeles are only a six hour car drive, which makes for a nice, longer trip if you really want to have the “road trip” experience.

Zion National Park is another short drive from St. George, making it the ideal day trip. People travel from all over the world to see it, and it’s practically in our backyard. 

Travel can be an enriching and educational experience as well. Whenever you visit a place with a different culture than yours, you can learn more about people. People around the world do things and view things differently, and it’s a good idea to be open-minded to other people’s views and how they live.

Best ways to be lazy

Since your summer isn’t packed with classes and a staggering pile of homework, it’s a good time to take advantage of a little leisure.

Now is a good time to slip on a swimsuit, grab a book or magazine and lounge by the pool, since there is nothing like some sunbathing to start your summer off right. 

Without classes or homework to interrupt, you can binge watch your favorite Netflix shows without feeling guilty. You could even start a new show; your list is the limit. 

At-home projects

If you’re like me, you never have time to do the projects you want to. I always want to sit and paint all day or pull out my new coloring book, but I just don’t have the time. Well, that’s what summer is for. Pull out the paintbrushes and markers, then make something awesome. 

If you’re more of a hands-on person and like working with your hands, you could stop by Home Depot and grab some wood and a hammer. Experiment with making something, maybe some simple furniture to add to your apartment. 

Any combination of any of these things can be a good way to spend your summer. The main thing is to feel like your summer was a good one and not a wasted one.