Natural beauty empowering

Makeup only adds to the beauty that women already have naturally.

Social media has been a huge asset to starting this “No Makeup Movement.” Where celebrities have posted pictures of themselves with no makeup to show their true self, because no one is flawless.

It should be normal for women not to wear makeup, but I feel prettier and more confident when I am wearing makeup. It’s like dressing up; you cannot go to a formal event wearing jeans. You will feel uncomfortable and maybe not as pretty as the other girls. Is the same with makeup. We feel like the world is going to judge us if we show our natural self.

“I do not feel like I look my best without makeup,” said Jaydra Thurber, a sophomore biology major, from Temecula, California. “I notice on the days I don’t wear makeup -I am not as friendly and as outgoing.”

Alicia Keys has started the new #nomakeup movement and it is amazing. “I don’t want to cover up anymore,” Keys said. “Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing. I swear it is the strongest, most empowered, most free, and most honestly beautiful that I have ever felt.”

When ever I see a celebrity on social media, or on the TV, my goal is to look as good as them. So it is a big message to the world when perfect famous people show their natural selves, it makes us want to show our natural self as well. This is why the movement has had so much impact.

“I feel like the most reasonable message any celebrity can send these days is to wear minimal make up,” said Tallen Tipton, a sophomore general education major from St. George. “Women are beautiful the way they are and sometimes they do not know they could look even prettier without or with less makeup.”

I do my makeup everyday because I want to be able to look in the mirror and realize that I look presentable. Some people want to wear makeup because they feel prettier, or they want to impress someone, but others just want to look good for themselves.

Every time I look at myself without makeup in the mirror, I think I don’t look bad like this, but I could look better with some powder and mascara. Is very important to love ourselves the way we have been created. But also to love the someone who takes time to do their make up to look better because they love themselves.

Women have been created perfect, but if some makeup makes them feel even more beautiful, it is a good thing. Let’s just remember how perfect women are with or without makeup.

Feeling empowered to be your truest self, whether that involves wearing makeup or not? Now that’s a notion we can get behind. It is what Alicia Keys has been trying to make an impact on with the #nomakeup movement.