Homecoming Week: Why college homecoming is superior to high school

Freshman year of college is the year most idolized by young adults; it becomes a year of trying new things, meeting new people, and discovering who you really are.

Then comes homecoming, an event where you can get “turnt.” But homecoming in high school doesn’t compare to homecoming in college.

During my junior year of high school, I attended my first and last homecoming dance. The previous week, the associated student body organized homecoming court votes and purchased tickets. 

The dance was held at an airplane museum, with the theme ‘Fly Away with Me’- Frank Sinatra, the day after the homecoming football game. Students, dressed in semiformal attire, entered the building after school faculty checked our bags and pockets for weapons and drugs. Snacks and drinks were provided in a back corner, across from a seating area with a walkway to the dance floor.

There was dancing, singing and sweating — lots of sweating. Then after a while you realize that not everyone is dancing, in the typical vertical position, but that some girls are bent at a 90 degree angle with their rears backed-up on a boy.

But college homecoming is different in many ways. It is more of a festivity than a special occasion.

Here at Dixie State University, tradition and spirit roars through the campus as a full week of homecoming events commences. Tickets for college homecoming tend to be significantly cheaper than high school. 

The DSU Student Association kicks off the week announcing all events, with paper flyers and media outlets, leading up to the homecoming football game. 

As usual the dance is held around the time of Halloween, thus giving the dance a costume theme. But there’s no popularity contest, no kings and queens, just students enjoying their night, which I believe is how it should be. 

I like DSU has a numerous amount of tradition to participate in. Instead of stressing about what to wear and who to go with, all I need to worry about is when to purchase my ticket for the dance. 

Most of you may already know of True Trailblazer, a homecoming midnight tradition where you can kiss your sweetheart, or practically any person, in the school fountain right after the dance—a tradition shared by DSU for many years.

This tradition, although strange, is something that separates DSU Homecoming Week from high school homecoming. It’s practically the highlight of Homecoming Week. 

As I enter my second year attending DSU homecoming, I look forward to the traditions and hope to continue them in future years at DSU.