OPINION | Valentine’s Day has too much expectations

Whether you are spending Valentine’s Day alone or with a partner, it should not be a day that causes stress. Look at the holiday as a loving and fulfilling day. Frankie Medina | Sun News Daily

For couples, Valentine’s Day is a holiday of gift-giving to a significant other. For others, this is the most dreadful holiday.

Although Valentine’s Day is full of love and fun, there are false expectations you have to go above and beyond for your significant other. There is too much expectation and stress for Valentine’s Day that results in it being a resentful holiday.

All you want in a relationship is to make your significant other happy. What do you do to achieve that? Buy them their favorite gifts. Whether it’s shoes or a book, you know what they like. Your goal is to put a smile on their face and seeing that smile makes you smile.

According to HelloGiggles, “Ask yourself what you want to do for Valentine’s Day, talk to your partner about it.”

Everyone has an expectation for themselves. We want to get our significant other a good, memorable gift. What we never talk about are our companions’ expectations. This is supposed to be a holiday of enjoyment. It is a representation of the bond you and your partner have together. You want to make sure it is perfect. There is no better way to make it perfect than communicating with your significant other.

Maybe you aren’t the biggest fan of a box of chocolates or an oversized teddy bear. Perhaps all you want is a day spent with your significant other. Maybe you don’t even want to celebrate because you think it is overrated. If that is the case, it is best to voice this to them. It can help both you and your companion understand each other’s needs. This can make for a healthy and sustainable relationship while also providing both of you with clear expectations.

According to The Cougar Chronicle,”Consumerism tells us that grand gestures such as expensive gifts are necessary to show how much you love someone when that is not the case.”

After setting expectations with your significant other, it is time to set expectations for yourself. It is time to eliminate the stigma “expensive gifts are the best gifts.” Instead, start recognizing any gift or gesture, no matter how big or small, is what counts.

You might have a partner that does not celebrate the holiday or does not believe in it, and that’s OK. This means they do not give in to the group of people who expect too much out of the holiday.

According to Bustle, “But it’s important to bring up the subject and be open about how your partner’s feeling.”

You can make chocolate covered strawberries, have a romantic outdoor picnic and buy flowers for each other any other day of the year.

Remember your relationship with yourself and your companion is more important than a holiday that was “made for couples.”