DSU women’s track and field prepares to compete at UVU invitational

High jumper Morgan Callens, a finance major from Kingwood, Texas, prepares for invitationals throughout the week at practice. Photo courtesy of Breanna Biorato/DSU Athletics.

The Dixie State University women’s track and field team will compete at its second outdoor invitational of the season on March 31 at Utah Valley University.

DSU will travel to Provo after nearly a three-week break since last competing at the Ben Brown Invitational. During this invitational, the Trailblazers set two program bests, along with 13 additional top-10 program records. 

The team plans to build on the past invitational and has been preparing for the past few weeks. Although the team has not competed since the second week of March, they have not veered down on the intensity. 

Head coach Derrick Atkins said, “We have been building up our work capacity and continuing to fine-tune our race strategies.”

Atkins encourages the team to look at the practices during the week as “rehearsals” and the invitationals at the end of the week as “performances.” 

High jumper Morgan Callens, a finance major from Kingwood, Texas, takes Atkin’s advice to heart as she implements it during her preparation throughout the week.

“On Wednesday, I run my practice like a meet,” Callens said. “I will practice a minimal amount of jumps at a higher intensity.”

Along with high-intensity practices and heavy weight lifting, Callens said the team was able to focus on the team bonding aspect of preparation over spring break. 

Sprinter Sadie Edwards, a communication studies major from Provo, is looking forward to competing in her hometown with the support of family and friends.

“I always feel like I can run better when my number one fans are there,” Edwards said.

She knows her teammates will do well and is looking forward to her teammates competing, specifically those that have been injured during the majority of the indoor season.

As the week of practice comes to an end for the Trailblazers, it is time for them to start preparing mentally to compete. 

Atkins said every athlete has a different mindset and approach for preparation.

Callens most crucial time of mental preparation is when she is warming up, specifically her warm-up routine. She also reminds herself to not be intimidated by the other jumpers.

“To focus, I have to remember I deserve to be here as much as they do,” Callens said.

Edwards reminds herself to stay mentally tough and focuses on the finish line while running. She also likes to talk to her parents before her races and is looking forward to having them at the UVU Invitational.

At the 2021 UVU Collegiate Invitational the Trailblazers took a No. 9 finish out of nine teams. During the invitational this year, Atkins would like to see PRs, school records and season bests.

Stay up-to-date with the women’s track and field team at the UVU invitational at dixiestateathletics.com.