OPINION l Movie theaters are not a thing of the past

Megaplex Movie Theatres provide a diverse variety of entertainment for all in St. George. Frankie Medina l Sun News Daily

Putting it into perspective, the movie theater is not just for one specific group of people. People of all ages attend on a daily basis; making it much more popular. 

Movie theaters, for years, have offered various forms of entertainment from the movies shown, the arcade games within the buildings, and the copious amounts of snacks you can choose from. 

Saying movie theaters are a thing of the past is not only incorrect, but is a reach, as they still provide enjoyment and a sense of release for many people. 

After a long week of school and work, it always feels nice to unwind and enjoy some time with friends. One thing my friends and I love to do is go to the movies. It gives me something to look forward to, and helps my friends and I bond over something we all enjoy.

Being able to watch a movie with your favorite snacks and people, a sound system and a big projection screen makes going to the movie theater completely worth it.

According to The Verge, “You get pulled into the sound and color in a way that you don’t feel when you’re sitting on your couch at home.”

There have been many times where I would not even think about watching a certain movie because it did not look interesting, but my friends insisted we see some of them. Those movies ended up being some of my favorite ones like: “The Upside,” “Uncharted” and even the new “Batman” movie. If it weren’t for the amazing experience of both the movies and the theater, then I would not have been able to enjoy those movies.

The pandemic has influenced going to the movies immensely. It has had an impact on many movie theater businesses. Movie theaters being shut down during the pandemic resulted in some theaters being forced to close their doors for good. This affected Megaplex Theatres that will not be seen again in some Utah areas.

According to Vox: “COVID-19 looked like it could have brought about the end of movie theaters. Theaters couldn’t show movies… and U.S. movie studios started flirting with an idea: releasing movies digitally and in theaters at the same time.”

Now, with there being many streaming services to choose from, it can be hard to even want to attend the theater. There are streaming platforms like Netflix, HBO Max and Disney+ that premiere movies right on the TV. This takes the fun out of the whole movie theater experience. You cannot get the classic movie theater popcorn or the to-die-for milkshakes at home. It just isn’t the same. This takes the enjoyment and excitement, not to mention the experience, the movie theaters offer.

“Just because it may be easier to view the content in this manner, it does not mean it is the best means of doing so,” said Trey Martin in Movie theaters: a thing of the past?

There is something about being able to get up, get dressed, and go out for a night of fun with your friends and family to share and watch something that you all enjoy and can experience together.