The debut of the pink jerseys at Utah Tech’s ‘Think Pink’ game

The Utah Tech women’s basketball team debuts its pink jerseys. Annie Sorensen | Sun News Daily

With the women’s basketball team and its coaches dressed in all pink, the confidence in the Burns Arena Feb. 11 was at an all-time high, as the team beat New Mexico State University 90-57.

Even though NM State won the tip-off, they weren’t able to score in their time with the ball. However, Utah Tech came back scoring the first three points of the game.

The starting line-up featured:

• Averi Papa, a sophomore history major from St. George
  • Breaunna Gillen, a senior exercise science major from West Jordan
  • Amber Kartchner, a redshirt freshman management major from Logan
  • Emily Isaacson, a redshirt junior recreation and sports management major from Perry
  • Maggie McCord, a senior criminal justice major from South Jordan

New to the Burns Arena, the announcers in the sound box implemented a Mario Bros. chime sound effect every time the Trailblazers scored a point from a personal foul.

In honor of the “Think Pink” game, Utah Tech athletics featured a St. George local during the first timeout of the game who finished her last round of radiation the day of the game.

The Trailblazers kept the lead the entire first quarter ending with a score of 18-10. Kartchner scored 61% of these points.

Starting the second quarter with the ball, Utah Tech upped its score to 24 in the first two minutes. At halftime, the Trailblazers were ahead 43-24 – nearly doubling NM State’s score.

Stars Dance Studio performed a hip-hop routine at halftime in preparation for its competition season, and two Utah Tech students competed for a swag bag in a game of “Name That Logo.”

The Trailblazers kept the momentum by starting the third quarter with the same starting line-up, and they ended the quarter in the lead with 61-37 points.

In the final quarter of the game, Kartchner topped her personal best of points scored in one game going from 21 to 26.

Annie Sorensen | Sun News Daily

No. 12 Ene Adams from NM State reached her five personal fouls in the fourth quarter and fouled out of the game, so Gillen was able to shoot two free throws.

Utah Tech held the lead the entire game, and all healthy players had playing time throughout the game.

All those in attendance can get a free taco from ROCTACO because the Trailblazers hit 70 points with six minutes, 18 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

The team’s next game is against Stephen F. Austin Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. in the Burns Arena.