Utah Tech men’s soccer welcomes Las Vegas Lights FC

Kyle Walbruch, a freshman exercise major from Highland, drilled a penalty kick against Las Vevas Lights FC on Feb 19. Miki Akiyama | Sun News Daily

The Utah Tech University men’s soccer team will welcome Las Vegas Lights FC in a fundraiser exhibition game Feb. 19.

Las Vegas Lights FC is an interdependent member of the USL Championship League and finished ninth in the USL Western Conference table.

Kick-off for the fundraising friendly is set for 3 p.m. at the Greater Zion Stadium. Jonny Broadhead, Utah Tech head men’s soccer coach, said the success of this event will be measured by the number of smiles in the crowd, in addition to them returning year after year.

Whether it is USL or MLS opponents, many NCAA Division I men’s soccer teams schedule their spring season games against professional teams. Many professional teams seek out talented opposition to play against to prepare themselves.

“It isn’t very often that a professional soccer team is playing in St. George,” Broadhead said. “I would hope that the youth that show up leave with some new inspiration and feel they were a part of something special and unique.”

Broadhead saw President’s Day weekend as an opportunity to draw soccer fans from near and far with there being two “very large”  youth soccer tournaments during that time in St. George.

“This year, there are 570 youth teams that will be in town, plus another 42 teams playing in a tournament in Mesquite that are all looking for something to do on Sunday,” Broadhead said. “Hopefully many of these teams and their families see this as a fun activity for that day.”

In addition to the fundraiser game, attendees will have the opportunity to get autographs and take photos with both Utah Tech and Las Vegas Lights FC.

Utah Tech students may attend this event for free with their student ID. General admission tickets for the game are $5 each and can be purchased here

The Trailblazer men’s soccer program will receive all match earnings. Broadhead said the money earned helps in every aspect of the soccer program such as flights, buses, coaching education, recruiting trips and more. 

“We are very appreciative of everyone there on Sunday and their support,” Broadhead said. “We are also very thankful for the Las Vegas Lights organization coming to St. George and giving many of our youth an unforgettable experience.”